18 | Past

"This is all your fault!" A hockey guy yelled as he slammed Komaeda against a wall.

"Ow!"

"You fucking sabotaged us!" He shouted.

"I didn't!" Komaeda argued.

"Shut the fuck up!" He grabbed him by his collar and slammed him against the wall again. Komaeda winced in pain.

"Stop that! I didn't do anything! You're the ones who sabotaged my performance and humiliated me first!"

"First? So it was you!"

"No!" Komaeda yelled, angry. "Leave me alone! It's not my fault you suck at skating!"

The guy grabbed his face and slammed his head against the wall, knocking him out. After that, he left.

-

When he woke up again, he was in a hospital bed. His father was holding his hand, sobbing. Hinata was awkwardly rubbing Mr. Komaeda's back.

"...mmh... dad?" He asked.

"You're awake!" He shouted and hugged him tightly. "Wh-what happened?!"

"I don't... I don't really..." He looked around. Hinata raised an eyebrow. Komaeda seemed confused.

"Angel? What happened?"

Komaeda shrugged. "I dunno,"

"You don't know? Oh God! Hinata-san, go get a doctor!"

"Yes!" Hinata ran out of the room. "Uh, is there a doctor here?? Please!"

A woman approached him. "What's wrong?"

"My- Komaeda doesn't remember what happened!"

The woman was the same doctor who had been looking after Komaeda while he was unconscious. She went into the room and approached Komaeda's bed.

"How are you feeling?"

"Uhm... a bit silly,"

"Silly? Can you elaborate on that, please?"

"Dizzy... and a bit... weird in the head,"

She nodded. "It's probably just a concussion, so there's no need to worry-"

"A concussion?!" Mr. Komaeda shrieked. "No! How could I let this happen?!"

"He's going to be completely fine. I'm going to perform a couple scans on him, alright? You can wait here." She pushed the bed, with Komaeda still laying in it, out of the room.

Mr. Komaeda had his hands in his hair. His breathing was fast. He was obviously terrified.

Hinata sat down in front of him. "Is it okay if I touch you?"

"Nhh..." he whimpered and nodded.

Hinata put a hand on his shoulder. "Name three things you can hear right now,"

"U-uhm... the people walking outside... my breathing...a woman giving birth, I think..."

"Good. Now name three things you can see,"

"Uh... you, the window... the, uh, the floor,"

"Alright. Now three things you can feel,"

"Your, ah, your hand on my shoulder. The sweat on my face and... hm... the cold air, I suppose,"

Hinata smiled. "Are you feeling better now?"

"Yes... Thank you, Hinata-san,"

"You're welcome. Can I ask why you're always so worried about Komaeda and why you freaked out just now?"

He took a deep breath and looked off to the side. "My... my wife," he began. "My sweet, beautiful wife, she..." He sighed. "She's not longer with us,"

"Oh... I'm so sorry,"

"I still remember the day... it was eighteen years ago. April 28th," he said.

"What happened?"

"We went to the hospital. My perfect little angel was born," he said. "B-but there were complications... His life was in danger. Her life was in danger. I-it was horrible and there was nothing I could do. The doctors tried so, so incredibly hard..." he said. "They managed to save Nagito, but not... not my wife... the love of my life," he told Hinata. "He was born too early, you know? The doctors explained to me exactly what happened, but I was too busy crying to listen to them. I hate hospitals because of that... And I hate it when something happens to my sweet angel. I have to keep him safe at all costs. He's all I have left and I love him so, so much. I love him more than life itself. When he got into that accident with Shikichi-san, I... I think I actually went insane for a while," he said, eyes wide.

"Huh?"

"I cried so, so much. I threw up, I prayed to God, I prayed to a different God, I prayed to any God that might be out there. I screamed my lungs out, I bashed my head into walls, I... I'm so happy my little angel didn't see me like that. He'd hate me,"

"He wouldn't. He loves you very much," Hinata assured him.

Mr. Komaeda looked into the brunet's eyes. They were both quiet for a while until the older man began crying again.

"I-I miss my wife so much!" He cried. "I loved her! I loved her so, so much! She's the only woman I ever loved and the only one I ever will love..." he looked at his wedding ring. "She was amazing... she was so, so strong. One day you'll understand how I felt back then. I really, really hope you find someone you love as much as I loved her. Everything she did amazed me. She was incredible. She was so intelligent and kind and accepting and beautiful and... He looks so much like her, you know?" His voice cracked. "H-his white hair, his pale skin, his green eyes... I can't get over her when he's a constant reminder of what I could have had... A family. I-I could have raised him together with her. She would have been an incredible mother. She would be able to support him in ways I can only dream about... oh God..."

The door opened again.

"Dad, she said I have a confusion!" Komaeda told him, smiling softly. "It means my head exploded or... something," His speech was slurred.