32 | Performance

"It's a true pleasure to meet you, Mr. Komaeda," Smith said. "You can practice here for a bit before the show begins if you'd like. We'll let you know when to start and once you're done, it would be great if you could just give a quick speech thanking everyone who came, okay?"

Komaeda tried to keep up. He was pretty bad at English. "Practice, perform when music starts... and speech. Okay! Thank you very much,"

"You're very welcome. These two gentlemen must be your father and your... brother?" He asked.

The pale boy grinned, excited. "He is my boyfriend!"

"Oh! I see." He shook Hinata's hand. "I'm Thomas Smith. Nice to meet you, Sir,"

"Hinata Hajime,"

"Alright, Mr. Hajime,"

"That's my first name,"

Smith nervously chuckled. "I apologize. Culture barrier, I suppose, haha! Anyway, I am so glad to have you here. It's nice to see someone supporting Mr. Komaeda. Feel free to take a seat already,"

Komaeda went to change and then got onto the ice. He stretched for a bit and then took a deep breath before beginning to practice.

His father and Hinata sat down in the first row.

"Oh, his mother would be so proud..." Mr. Komaeda muttered.

"I'm sure she would be." Hinata smiled gently.

Komaeda began to warm up. He did a few priouettes, jumps and splits. Soon enough, he was told to get off the ice again and people began to enter the stadium.

"Good day, everyone!" A voice said through the speakers. "I hope you're all ready for the talented young figure skater, Nagito Komaeda! Due to the unfortunate circumstances that took place at Hope's Peak Academy, we were not able to witness his full performance. Today, we will finally see the full version. Please welcome him with applause!"

The crowd applauded. The stadium went dark. Komaeda took a deep breath. The lights projected a big image of a piece of candy onto the ice. The music began to play and the lights turned back on, revealing Komaeda standing on the ice. There was a cameraman on the ice too.

He took a deep breath and raised his arms above his head elegantly, spinning around slowly and then going faster. The pale boy skated across the ice and then jumped up into the air, landing with his legs  crossed. The crowd applauded again.

It was a beautiful performance. The people loved it. Mr. Komaeda was filming the whole thing with a bright smile on his face.

Though Komaeda's face seemed nervous, his movements had never been more confident and calculated. He had practiced his whole life for this moment. He was not going to mess it up now because he felt insecure.

He skated past Hinata and his father.

"You're doing so well!" Hinata told him quickly. Komaeda grinned.

He did a high jump and then landed on his feet. The pale boy crouched down while he slid across the ice and leaned backwards, snowing off how great he was at balancing. He leaned back so far that his hair was sliding across the ice as well. The crowd gasped. It looked like he was defying gravity. He lifted his arms behind him and lightly brushed his fingers across the ice next to his head.

Then, he quickly got up with a smooth spin. He lifted his leg next to his head. Then, he crouched down on the leg that wasn't lifted in the air. His whole body was extremely flexible and he knew how to coordinate his arms and legs perfectly.

At the end of his performance, he skated to the middle of the rink and bowed down deep. The audience applauded and cheered loudly.

Then, someone threw something in his direction.

Komaeda gasped and stood up straight, not wanting to experience the same humiliation all over again. The thing that was thrown wasn't trash though.

It was a rose. More and more people began throwing roses onto the ice.

"My gosh..." He whispered, picking one of them up. He looked around. These people all loved his performance. Komaeda smiled. He kissed his hands and blew the kisses at the crowd.

"Thank you all!" He shouted as he skated to the end of the rink. He took off his skates.

"Right this way," Smith said, gesturing to stairs. Quite high above the floor, there was a platform with a microphone standing on it. Komaeda walked up the stairs to the platform, nervous.

"Uhm, testing, testing," he said into the microphone. The crowd chuckled.

(Just wanna clarify, I am NOT making fun of people who are bad at English with this. English isn't my first language either so I understand the struggle. I just want to show a language barrier.)

"I am not very good at English, I am apologize," he said. "I am thankful and so so happy that you buyed tickets to see me today. I sooo love you!!" He said, smiling. He wasn't the best at English, truly, but his nervousness and excitement made it even worse.

"Thank you, thank you! And I will thank some other guys now too," he said. "Souda-kun, I hope you are see me right now. You are a sweet man, I like you!" He said, grinning. "Dad, I like you too, very much. You help my dreams become true. You are the best dad in the world! And mom, I wish you would be here now. I hope you are seeing me from the sky." He looked up. The audience let out 'aww...'s.

"And my boyfriend!" He then said, smiling again. "You are the best man. You protect me and make me smile. Once I am done here, I hope you will give me a kiss,"

The crowd laughed at his silliness.

"I love you, boyfriend!" He was making sure to keep it anonymous in front of so many people. "And I love you, New York!" Saying that made him feel like a celebrity. He bowed down and everyone cheered again.