~~SIXTEEN

Kira

Sitting in the back of a pickup van, I felt lightheaded from the bumps and turns on the road. The omegas were packed like sardines into the warriors' vans, and I felt like everybody was pressing against me.

It was a maze of hands and feet, and the heat from everyone's sweating bodies did nothing to relieve the increasing discomfort I was feeling.

My premenstrual cramps were back, and I was running out of hours before my period started. There I was, a grumpy prisoner surrounded by fearful omegas and enraged warriors.

My stomach started to turn, and the truck's hard surface was hurting my body, making me feel even worse.

Mom was sitting next to me, looking ahead. There were six other vans, each carrying at least a dozen omegas—the same people who raided our camp and assaulted us were taking us l to the main pack.

Omegas could never quite figure out what these warriors wanted from them, but I knew and remained silent.

The alpha must be a joker if he believed he could include the omegas in the pack and grant them the same privileges and rights as the other characters. We would never be equal, and he could never, no matter how hard he tried, overthrow the centuries-old system.

I had hoped for a better life because, really, who doesn't? We were mistreated and had fewer living conditions than animals. The omegas weren't prepared for a shift from their normal life.

We were all silent, staring blankly and lost in our thoughts.

"Why are they taking us to the main pack, Mama?"One of the little girls, Camilla, questioned her mom. "Did we do something wrong?”

"Shush, Cami. Now's not the time for questions."

My heart sank. I pondered the reaction of the omegas if they discovered the forbidden bond I shared with the alpha. I would not be spared; this was a risky mission.

They would call me names and even think I seduced the alpha on the day of the coronation. I couldn't tell my mother about the bond because of this.

Almighty Zion switched seats with the boy beside me. Doing what he knew best, get on my nerves.

"The alpha wants you very close to him so that he can sneak out to fuck you," he whispered as he leaned in closer. His voice sounded disgusting, making my skin crawl.

"First of all, have you stopped to consider that the alpha may be doing this out of goodwill?" I whispered in response, trying not to show my anger. Secondly, this is none of your business, so please stop bringing it up in public."

"It doesn't concern me?" he hissed. "You say I should not be concerned that someone is attempting to steal my girl from me?"

“Please return to your previous position, Zion,”.I spoke up this time, and several people turned to stare at us.

"What is going on? Why do you two fight so much?" my mom questioned, frowning worriedly. Amari agreed with her.

"It is concerning that Kira has been tense lately."

Zion, the root of it all, foolishly pretended to be innocent.  “She keeps transferring her aggression to me."

My mother drew me in. She never chastised me in front of others, though. "Well, if I were my daughter, I’d be furious. After all, she got into trouble when Zion persuaded her to attend the alpha's party."

My mother truly hit the mark; I wish I could give her a thousand kisses. Zion had already done so much damage that he had no right to dictate to me or incite fear in me.

The engine died and the van came to a stop. Now, at the edge of the main pack, we were encircled by motorcycle-riding warriors who were staring at us icily.

"You filthy omegas, get off our vans!" A commanding voice crackled from a loudspeaker.

The warriors roughly threw us out. We were led, one by one, to security checkpoints that had tables piled high with syringes.

They injected the liquid into us without warning or explanation. As the needle pierced my skin and entered my bloodstream, I experienced a sharp pain in my neck and tasted something metallic and bitter in my mouth.

"Illness-causing vermin," the male in scrubs who injected me muttered. There were more than twenty medical attendants there, all dressed in scrubs and face masks.

The people who handled us directly appeared agitated, and the others examined our bodies with machines that beeped and scanned our heads to determine our level of cleanliness.

With a frown, a young woman handed me a bundle of cotton clothes and new flip-flops to change into, saying, "Go into that bathroom, change into this."

I walked into the building with omegas behind me. Steaming water rose from the rows of sinks and showers in the bathroom. They took us for granted, treating us like we were waterless Stone Age people.

Was this how we would be subjected to heavy discrimination?

We went back to the vans after the examination, relieved that none of us had any illnesses. We all looked like prisoners because we were wearing blue overalls with checkered patterns.

Disgust spread across the faces of the higher-ranked werewolves as the vans passed through the pack. They did not even try to hide their hatred for us; we couldn't look them in the eye.

The van kept going until it arrived at the Alpha's estate. Our mothers, who had not previously visited, gazed around in wonder.

The head warrior let out a whistle and angrily exclaimed, "Get your lazy asses out of the vans!"

We hurried outside and stood in front of the Alpha's mansion; I had never seen it during the day before, and it was even more stunning with its lush lawns, glass structures, and enormous fountain.

I huddled up against my mom, wanting to dissolve into her skin. She encircled me with her arm.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded and looked away, but I was far from being okay. I was terrified and curious about the alpha's plans.

It would be a mistake on my part to think that he would want me to move in with him; that was never going to happen.

My head shot up when I smelled something sweet. Two tall males followed D'Angelo closely: one was a burly, blonde man who appeared to want to blow our heads off with a gun, and the other was calm and slender.

Not wanting the alpha to see me, I hid in the crowd. There was something inside me that woke me whenever I felt his presence or stood close to him. I knew he was looking for me as he cast a glance around.

He turned to the slender man on his right and sternly ordered, "Take them to the duplexes behind the mansion."

The large, burly one yelled, "Why duplexes?" "Cabins are located close to Central Market. How did they earn the right to be pampered?"

When his friend objected, the alpha shook his head. "Leo, that is the cow shed. Don't be stupid."

"But they can't stay here."

"They stay where I say they stay," he said with finality in his tone.

My spine tingled with cold.

As the gamma guided us to our destination, I let out a short sigh of relief. I was glad I avoided the alpha's attention, although I knew trouble was looming.

It was a matter of time until the world found out about my secret.