Eighty-Seven

D'Angelo

The tribe alpha summoned us for a meeting, and we gathered in the tribe leader alpha George's chamber, taking our seats around the circular table. Over twenty alpha leaders from different packs convened to discuss my situation. Since I was the focal point of the discussion, I had to stand and address them directly.

As soon as all eyes landed on me, I swallowed nervously, avoiding their scrutinizing gazes. Truth be told, I didn't want to be here at all.

My pride took a blow as it was obvious that some of them were present only to humiliate me. They weren't hiding it. Hatred boiled within me, suffocating me like a black curtain, especially when Javier kept on mocking me.

My gaze narrowed at him as he spoke. "D'Angelo, we deeply care about you, and even a child can see that you are destroying your pack's legacy. Your father would be deeply offended and ashamed of you, wherever he is."

I fell into a tight-jawed silence, with anger slicing all over me. "Stop pretending, you bastard," I growled at him before I took a step forward toward him. Javier raised an eyebrow, but he held his tongue.

"You're clearly not on my side. If you think I'm ruining the legacy of my pack by being with my Omega mate, then you must be delusional because I'm just getting started.”

Those who were against me began throwing harsh words at me, but they were nothing new. They called me weak and stupid.

"Enough, everyone," George intervened, banging the table. "We're here to discuss the issues at hand, not to judge D'Angelo. None of us are perfect; we all have our flaws. Let's not forget that."

I took a deep breath to try to contain my anger when Alpha George threw the floor open for me to speak.

"I'm aware that some of you have been working against me, trying to make me look bad. But let me tell you, I won't be shamed, nor would I be intimidated. Some of you even went so low as to favor Leo, a mere beta, over me. You would do everything it takes to see me destroyed."

"Your claims are baseless," Alpha Kai barked, interrupting me abruptly. "I haven't traveled all this way to listen to your unfounded accusations. I have no idea what you're even talking about.”

"Then stay out of it," I retorted sharply, catching him off guard with my rebuttal. "To Leo's godfathers who have sent him to destroy me: I will track him down, refute your accusations, and put an end to him. Stop using the excuse of my Omega mate; she does not define me or my leadership.”

Javier snorted. "You're asking for help, D'Angelo, but you're not willing to cooperate. You're too proud. If you want us to help you, that means you must sever your ties with the Omega and apologize to your pack for disgracing them."

I took a step towards Javier and made slits of my eyes. "I'll say this for the last time: I don't need your help. What help are you offering anyway? All you know is to assert your dominance over me. You've been crying like a starving child since I refused to give you the respect you wanted. You can shove your help down your throat, and I hope it chokes you."

"Stop it, D'Angelo!" Alpha George warned. "Don't be so arrogant. We're here to help you but you're giving us a heap of negative energy. Show some humility, boy. You're not wiser than everyone else."

Despite my mounting rage, I said nothing. I couldn't wait to prove my doubters wrong. The alphas continued with the heated discussion until the door burst open, and a group of powerful werewolves from the Desert Oasis pack entered the room, which took the other alphas by surprise and their gazes were fixed on the newcomers.

My heart soared with joy. Alpha Jeffery was here to help me.

"Alpha Jeffrey?" George whispered harshly to me, "did you invite them? Who says we can't handle tribe matters among ourselves?"

I could almost taste the jealousy in his tone, but it was none of my business. I needed Jeffrey's backup because my so-called Alpha brothers were untrustworthy. I nodded in greeting and loved the look of shock on the other alphas' faces.

"Is there a problem, Alpha?" George inquired, his tone firm. "You cannot simply enter our gathering without an invitation.”

Alpha Jeffrey commanded a presence that was beyond material wealth or status. Within our group of alphas, his regal aura was unmistakable and set him apart. He oozed superiority that didn't stem pride, but from something deeper and more intrinsic to his character.

"D'Angelo asked for my help," he said without even breaking into a sweat. "Seems like his own tribe is turning against him over flimsy reasons."

The alphas began to murmur among themselves, and my smile grew wider when Alpha Jeffery took his seat beside me.

"I apologize if I'm interrupting anything," he began, his tone firm but respectful, "but I cannot stand by while he's being attacked and undermined. I'm not here to stir up trouble; I'm here to offer support. My team and I will remain until this matter is resolved.”

The older alphas looked on, some angry, others indifferent, and then the ones who truly supported me were happy with this new development.

"So, you don't believe he's making a mistake?" Javier asked him. "He has an Omega mate. Do you know the consequences of that?"

"Oh, please," Alpha Jeffrey brushed him off. "You people over here are too sentimental and discriminatory. My wife is Omega, and I have a healthy alpha son."

Even I had no idea that the alpha's wife was Omega. This made my likeness for him grow even stronger; there was no doubt that he was a godsent.The room fell pin-drop silence.

"Mistake or not, you are his brothers and should stand together. It's a disgrace to abandon him just because he is going through a rough patch. My apologies if this doesn't sit well with anyone, but I'm here to back him up."

The meeting continued, but the atmosphere had shifted. Alpha Jeffrey's presence had tipped the balance in my favor, and some alphas felt very uneasy knowing that they were outmatched. My smile grew wider, and I knew that soon victory would be in my hands. All that was left was to catch that worm called Leo.

Outside the meeting ground stood military personnel from the Desert Oasis, all dressed in sleek khaki with a golden insignia on their sleeves.

"If you don't mind,” Alpha Jeffrey said. “We would be stationing them to several parts of the pack. Some would be at the border gates, some would be at the commercial centers, and some would be dispatched to the residential areas."

"Of course," I nodded happily. "That's more than enough help."

We went straight to action, and Hugo was more than ready to work with them. They took their positions, and even my pack warriors felt a bit intimidated because they knew the Desert Oasis wolves were strong, and nobody dared to defy them.

"I don't know how to say thank you a million times for your help," I said to Alpha Jeffrey. "I wasn't expecting this measure of support."

"Just doing what's needed," he said breezily while gazing out the window. "So, tell me, what have you put in place to deal with the situation?"

I sighed. "We've been searching for him everywhere, and at the same time, training our warriors tirelessly day and night. Although we just returned from a war, I guess we have to prepare."

"You mean you let Leo slip under your nose?" he exploded, startling me. "How can you let a mere beta control you?"

There was a strained silence afterward. Then he announced that there were surveillance cameras everywhere and drones as well.

"Don't worry, we'll fish out the traitors among your people and deal mercilessly with them. They don't know what is about to hit them hard."