Fifty-Six

When I returned home with Alexis, the aroma of various dishes hit my nose. Zina had outdone herself and the maids were carrying buffet trays to the dining room.

She rushed to my side, looking stunning in her green wrap dress and sky-high heels.

"Are you going to tell me why you've gone through all this trouble?"

She smiled mischievously. "No, I won't spoil the surprise. Just go to the dining table. Someone is waiting for you."

Someone?

I made my way to the dining room, I could hear Alexis's disgusted tone.

"Why would Zina invite Omegas to dine with us? Am I expected to sit at the same table as them?"

My heart raced and I quickened my steps. Upon entering the dining room, Kira and her mother were seated calmly, with Grey beside them, pleading with them to ignore Alexis.

"What's with everyone's newfound attention towards omegas?" Carol sneered.

Kira looked extremely beautiful with her hair styled in a neat bun. She wore a pink tank top on jeans and I almost busted a nut at the scent of the bond.

She looked away almost instantly, and her mother stood, offering me a respectful bow.

Zina intervened and she chastised Alexis and her sister. "I invited Kira and her mother here tonight for a reason. They are as important as anyone else at this table. Alexis, if you cannot respect my guests, you are free to leave."

Alexis scoffed and waved her hands dismissively, going for a slice of cake. I took my place at the head of the table, directly facing Kira. I could tell she didn't want to be here and I wish I could scoop her into my arms and announce to the world that I loved her.

Caleb sat next to her and I strained my ears to hear what he was whispering to her.

"Don't mind what my sisters are saying. It's only ignorance that blinds some to this truth."

Kira offered me a fleeting glance before she looked away. Zina, who heard Caleb, agreed with him.

"Exactly. It's high time some people understand that "

"Caleb, are you going through some kind of phase? Talking like an idiot now?" Alexis snapped and Caleb laughed.

"Maybe I am, but at least I'm not an ignorant one."

We helped ourselves to any dish of our choice. Leo and Isabel joined us, with Leo boisterous as usual. They were shocked to see Kira and her mother but didn't comment.

In the middle of dinner, Zina stood up, signaling for silence. "Now that everyone is here, I have a huge announcement to make. And before you ask, no, Grey doesn't know about this either."

Grey raised his hands."At long last. You've been quite the mystery these past days."

Isabel rolled her eyes. "Can we skip the suspense? Some of us don't do well with prolonged mysteries."

Zina, unbothered, replied with a smile, "It's my dinner, and I'll announce it how I like."

Isabel and Alexis bickered like kids and Zina didn't speak until they stopped.

"Good. Now that we are clear I want to announce to everyone seated on the stable that I'm pregnant!"

I gasped in shock. Grey leaped up, his chair clattering behind him, and screamed in joy. Everyone including Isabel and Alexis was shocked.

Without thinking, I moved to Zina, lifting her in a hug filled with pure happiness. In the heat of the moment, she kissed me on the lips-a friendly peck we were used to.

The moment froze as I caught Kira's eye.

Fuck!

I gently set Zina down, making sure she was stable on her feet before speaking."Congratulations, Zina. I couldn't be happier for you both."

Zina faced everyone. "I have my friend Kira here and mother Imani to thank for recommending fertility herbs for me. It's been five years of constant reminders that I was barren but I guess that's all in the past now."

I stared at Imani with a profound awe and Grey unashamedly hugged Kira and her mom.

"Hey, Kira, want me to show you around?" Caleb asked Kira later and she nodded.

"Sure."

The green snake of envy hissed in my heart.

"Oh, come on, Caleb, can't you see she's fine? You don't need to baby her," Alexis snapped and for the first time, I agreed with her. Caleb was doing too much.

" Last time I checked, I can talk to whoever I want, however I want. Kira is my friend and classmate."

With that, he placed his arm on her shoulder and led her away. Leo and Grey shot me curious glances and Leo pinched his lips from laughing.

As if my problems and inadequacy weren't enough, now I had Caleb to deal with.