FORTY-TWO

Kira

When I headed back to my building, the hostile air was so thick. Although no one was speaking to me, I could feel it; they were silent, staring at me with resentment.

They hated me.

I dared them to say anything or challenge me. They knew better, after all, D'Angelo had warned them, making it clear that anyone who spoke ill of me or made me feel uncomfortable would face his vengeance.

I didn't like feeling superior; after all, I was an Omega just like them. But there was nothing I could do. They had no reason at all to despise me; in fact, they ought to be grateful that I helped the alpha bring us in and that he now promised to send us to school.

Moving upstairs, the weight of all those eyes on me was too much for me, and I could barely wait to be in my room, safe and secure. I did not mind if they judged me; as long as they avoided confronting me, I was fine.

Ignoring the glares, I was almost at the top when I felt someone grab my hand. Turning around, it was Amari, whose eyes were red and swollen, trembling with desperation on her face.

I forgot that she was now Zion's mate and must be suffering and scared for her mate.

Without hesitation, I reached out and grabbed her hand, leading her to the balcony in my room and made her sit on the bean bag chair.

"Stop crying," I said softly, wiping her tears with my palm.

"Kira, please. You have to help me," her voice cracked as she begged. She kept sobbing and buried her face in my shoulder, clinging to me.

"Zion did something unthinkable and unforgivable," I said. "If I didn't send for the alpha, he would have used it to torment me. Why did he do it?"

"I don't know," she lifted her head, looking horrified, and I sighed.

"The alpha took him to the clinic, Amari. I doubt that he will subject him to torture; perhaps some questioning, but nothing severe."

"That's not true. I can feel it. The alpha is going to make Zion suffer."

"Stay calm, Amari. D'Angelo is noble and honorable. I'm not sure he would do anything evil, so don't panic. I'll talk to him and make sure he listens to reason, even though Zion does not deserve any pity."

"Thank you, thank you so much," she clutched my hand. "I know that we hurt you..."

"Please don't bring that up. That's all in the past, okay? Just stop crying. I just don't get it. Zion's only goal in life is to destroy himself."

"Me neither," she said with a dejected shake of her head. "I have been trying so hard to make him mark me ever since we found out we were mates, but he is still obsessed with destroying your relationship with D'Angelo."

I laughed sarcastically. "You mean he refused to mark you, his real mate?"

Amari nodded.

This was weird.

"Don't worry; I'll tell the alpha everything, and Zion will have no choice. But right now, we also need to focus on our entrance exam for high school. After high school, we'll go to college and become successful in the future and be very, very rich."

"I don't think school is my thing," she said with a grunt. "I just want to get married and have babies."

I moved closer to her. "Never say that. You know, your husband will appreciate you more if you are a woman of substance. Since Zion behaves like a Neanderthal, I am not too sure about him."

We burst out laughing.

The entrance exam was in two days, and although I had to keep up with Alexis and her nastiness, I didn't mind because once we begin school, we'd have to work part time.