Eighty-Five

Alexis

My father's face was a glowing mask of rage. He looked at me as if I was a disgusting piece of scat, a look that he wore so often.

He was ashamed of me and harbored intense hatred towards D'Angelo for his actions against me. But I hated his direct transfer of aggression onto me. He was acting as though I held power over a grown adult's emotions, as if I could dictate how they should feel.

D'Angelo didn't want me as a lover. To him, I was just his baby mama. My brother, Caleb, stood behind me, and his eyes drew together in an angry frown.

Caleb wasn't fond of my over demanding outbursts and was very different from me and Carol, but one thing was for sure, he loved us and was ready to protect us from any abuse we might receive under our fathers’ hands.

This was something I took great pride in, and the fact that Caleb had my back when everyone else was against me and that he could stand up to my father without fear was comforting.

One of the maids, Mary Ann, notorious for her habit of eavesdropping, walked down the hallway, a stack of fresh laundry balanced in her arms and pretended to be engrossed in her laundry task.

“Dad, don't you think you're being too hard on her?" Caleb’s voice rang through the house, full of authority. “You've done enough damage already. This is your daughter, for fuck's sake and you seem forget that she's pregnant. D'Angelo isn't her mate, so what's the big fuss about them being together?"

My dad shot him a poisonous glare, so threatening and acidic that I feared for Caleb, knowing how my dad could react whenever he was furious.

"If we didn't look alike, I would have sworn to the moon goddess that you're a bastard," my dad said to him, his tone becoming chilly.

Caleb scoffed under his breath, walked away, his footsteps thundering down the hall, and with stiff dignity, I got on my feet.

“What do you want, dad? I'm tired of your constant blame game,” I complained. “Why can't you let me live my own life?”

My dad made a horrible mimicry of my own words, mocking them with a deep, vicious voice. “As far as I know, you deserve to be compensated. We have to make him pay for what he did to you “

I shivered at the possessive desperation in his voice, wondering what he was talking about

“Oh please stop looking stupid. We must join forces with Leo to make sure that D'Angelo goes on his knees and begs you for mercy."

I shook my head at the absurdity of this scenario. “Why would I want to harm the father of my baby?I don't need revenge on him. I just want to get better treatment.”

“That's not your choice,” he said, smiling  coldly. “We will take matters into our own hands, my darling. Don't worry. I'm your dad and I want the best for you.”

My dad was so foolish to think he could defeat D'Angelo. “I've lived with D'Angelo for over four months, and I know how powerful he is. There is no revenge plan whatsoever that can work on him. Instead of acting like a sore loser, I'd rather give up on this quest, have my baby, and continue with my life."

My dad's silence wasn't ordinary. It was pregnant with an incoming barrage of insults. He fixed his gaze on me, studying me with an intensity that made my skin crawl. A devilish smile curled his lips upwards

"I see you've been brainwashed to believe that you're a loser. No child of mine will be disgraced like this. Do you realize that without D'Angelo in your life, you're nothing but a single mother? What man in his right senses would want to settle with you?"