FORTY-THREE

Kira

The military van from the warrior base yanked Zion out, and my heart banged with fear.

Also, people started running out of their houses, curious to see what was happening. Zion tried to maintain his stubborn look, but I could see the fear in his eyes as he looked at me.

Amari's cries grew stronger. "Kira, please talk to the alpha. I beg you."

One of the soldiers pushed her away when she tried to grab Zion's hand. Laura, Zion's mom was weeping now, and I felt really bad. D'angelo's car zoomed off, increasing my frustration.

"Come on, let's go to the warrior base," I held Amari. "And you really ought to stop crying because we are going to look like we are crazy to everyone."

"Does it look like I care?" she sobbed, her face streaked with dirt and tears. "They're going to kill him."

"No, they won't. He'll be fine; I swear on my life. Let's go."

We rushed out and reached the fence surrounding the base, a high wall of metal and barbed wire. There was a strong smell of death and danger, and I would have never imagined walking into this place.
Although Zion's bruises had healed, I knew they would take a serious beating.

A massive, hulking warrior with deep-set eyes charged forward and penetrated Zion's windpipe. Amari screamed so loudly that I gasped in shock. From the nose to the back of his neck, and everywhere in between, Zion was bleeding from the warrior's punch wounds. He gasped for breath, struggling against the soldier's grip.

He managed to lift one arm to wipe the blood off his face. I did not want Zion dead, even though he was a douchebag and did not deserve my sympathy.

"Please don't hurt him!" I chased after Amari as she cried and broke free from my hold to run towards him.

Some of the warriors were encircled under a shade, smoking cigarettes and hard drinks and laughing at the dramatic display.

A tall man in a neat uniform, with a plastic badge dangling from his shirt pocket, blocked our path by raising his gun.

"You two little rats, what are you doing here?" He let out a fierce bark. "Go home; this is a restricted area."

Amari resisted my attempts to pull her back. The rigid tension in my body disappeared when I sighted the alpha's car. With a sudden change in expression, the guard stepped back and lowered his gun. He removed his hat and made a polite bow to the alpha.

I ran to D'Angelo and begged, in a desperate tone, "You need to stop this." You assured me that you would not harm him. Please order the warriors to release him."

His amused hazel eyes glowed, and he laughed idly, "Come on, Kira. They have the last say over anyone who dares to oppose their alpha. I'm only being lenient because of you and the idiot should be grateful for that."

"I'm sure he's learned his lesson," The warriors gaped at me when I grabbed his arm. They must be wondering how an omega could have the courage to approach an alpha so fearlessly.

If only they understood how the body of a woman could subdue even the most powerful men.

"I need him to tell the truth, darling. I promise not to harm him, well unless he decides to be stupid which he is. "

My frantic heartbeat gradually slowed. "I don't like this, D'Angelo. These warriors have the ruthlessness to take his life. Have mercy, please."

D'Angelo gave me a puzzled look before his eyes evaded mine. "Let him be," he announced his voice firm as a rock."I'll take matters from here."