Forty-Seven

D'Angelo

We had a sinking suspicion that danger was lurking around every corner and waiting to jump out at us when we least expected it.

All of the packs in our tribe coexisted peacefully for centuries, contributing to the foundation of our society.

But things were changing slowly but surely. Over time, friends turned to foes to defend their territory, and the packs grew larger and more powerful.

It started with little things, and lately, I'd had unsettling dreams that seemed to be haunting me. My clan members were summoned to an urgent meeting by Alpha George of Creek Keepers. The meeting was held in one of his pack's five-star hotels.

We had to be exclusive because there were spies everywhere. I arrived before the host with Leo in tow. We exchanged pleasantries before getting to business.

"I appreciate you all making the journey here,” Alpha George said with a smile. "Spies need to be tricked into believing that this is a relaxed gathering. Yet the stakes could not be higher, as we are all aware. There have been internal rumblings that seem to be threatening to split us apart. There's a serpent in our garden.”

Aside from George's deep voice, the only sounds in the large room were whispers and quiet talk.

He went on, "We know the northern parts hate us so much and I suspect some alphas from other clans are planning to join forces with them to take us by surprise. The rumors are coming from different directions. We must eradicate this evil before it has a chance to grow, which is why I called us."

I glanced over at Leo, who was seated next to me. His expression remained neutral as usual.

“We need evidence,” I said. “I admit to being paranoid, but it is a big assumption to say that one of us is working with the North. What do you suggest, Alpha George?”

George leaned forward. “We need names. Let's send off trusted spies to observe changes in behavior and unauthorized communications. Small pieces reveal a larger picture."

"Sounds like a witch hunt, “ I said. “We need to make sure that secrecy is the watchword. Let the others not blame us for sowing distrust. I'm in, but let's proceed with caution."

The meeting lasted for hours with the pack leaders making plans and discussing how best to proceed. I missed Kira so much and couldn't wait to get back home. Unfortunately, a heavy downpour trapped us in the hotel.

Leo and I shared a suite at the hotel where we had to stay the night. A deep, sensual desire to be with Kira grew in the pit of my stomach as I lay on the bed. Her gentle voice filled my ears as I pulled out my phone to give her a call.

Acting like his gossip-mongering wife, Leo was curled up on the tiny couch.

“Hello, love," I said to Kira, trying my hardest to sound casual while battling my raging boner and ignoring Leo who kept shooting daggers at me. “Just wanted to tell you how much I’m missing you.”

“I miss you too,” she replied. Her voice was full of longing for me and I loved it. How long will you be there? I can't wait to see you. “

A smile formed on my lips.“Not too long. Just till tomorrow morning.”

The sound of thunder rumbled and I snuggled closer to my pillow, wishing I could be wrapped in her arms right now. “I miss you so fucking much. I want-”

My mouth snapped shut as soon as I realized what I was about to say. I almost told her that I wanted to be inside her.

Fuck.