Fifty-Seven

Kira

The first thing I noticed when I stared at my reflection in the mirror while preparing for school was an unfamiliar sight of tiny, scattered rashes that had made their appearance on my face.

"What's this?" I whispered to myself, leaning closer to the mirror and hoping I wasn't falling sick.

Puzzled about the rash, I applied a layer of makeup to conceal it and grew more puzzled when I noticed that Amari was getting ready for school.

My surprise was hard to hide. "Amari, what's going on? Didn't you say you would rather scrub the toilet floors day and night than go to school?”

Amari faced me with a broad grin. "Changed my mind, I've decided I want a diploma. You guys are winging it so why can't I?”

“I'm happy,” I squealed and wanted to hug her but I felt a dull throb on my chest and wondered what was happening to me.

"That's amazing, Amari,” I said while coughing. She frowned and gave me a concerned look.

“Are you okay?”

“Mm-hmm,” I said. “Maybe I woke up on the wrong side. Enough about me. I'm so happy you'll be joining school with me and I'm proud of you.”

Amari's look turned somber. "I wish Zion would be joining me. He has decided to join the military.”

I wiped at my mouth to suppress my laughter and turned around to collect myself. Amari and I weren't as close as before and Zion was her mate so I didn't want her to feel insulted.

“He wants to do what?”

She shrugged, looking like a sad sock.

“He’s serious about it, Kira, and I'm scared. What if something happens to him?"

Her eyes swelled up with tears and I reached out, offering a comforting hug. She had a very right to cry because Zion was omega. What business did an omega have in the military?

Zion himself joined us and the atmosphere shifted. I became uncomfortable sharing the same space with him after our long period of silence.

But I put on my big girl's sleeve and spoke first. "Zion, are you really joining the military?"

He looked at me with a seriousness I had rarely seen in him. "Yes.”

“But why? Omegas aren't strong enough.”

“That's what I want to change. I want people to see me as strong, and maybe my little experience with the warriors has changed my perspective.”

I stood there, taken aback. Then he looked distressed, probably resulting from his guilt over his wrongdoing to me.

"Kira, I know I've caused a lot of problems for you in the past, unnecessary ones that could have been easily avoided," he started, his gaze fixed on the ground before daring to meet my eyes. "I was mean, worse to you than anyone else, and for that, I'm deeply sorry. If you decide not to talk to me or forgive me, I'll understand."

My heart pounded in my chest as I listened to him. Who the hell was this and where was Zion? It was surreal to hear him speak like this after everything that had happened between us.

It took me a moment to gather my thoughts before responding. "It's fine. I forgive you.”

Then Amari and Zion looked helplessly, watching me leave. We headed to school and luckily, Amari and I were in the same homeroom. We joined the students chatting and preparing for the day. She held on to me and I was glad to have someone familiar to sit with in class.

We settled into our seats and I felt content. Having Amari here made the school atmosphere a little less daunting.

She leaned closer to me, a mischievous grin spreading across her face. “These fuckers are so stuck up. Who should I avoid?"

"Ha! steer clear of everyone, especially the popular ones.. They're trouble," I advised and just as we were speaking, Caleb's sister made her dramatic entrance.

Our conversation was abruptly cut short as Carol banged on our table. Startled, I looked up to see her and her group glaring down at me.

"Have I done something wrong?" I managed to ask, genuinely puzzled by her sudden hostility.

"Don't you dare ask me stupid questions!" Carol snapped, her friends nodding in agreement behind her. “Listen to me good. I don't care about your mother's stupid remedies that got Zina pregnant but I want you to stay away from my family and especially against forming any relationship with my brother, Caleb.”

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Were they always so insecure?

I tried to explain, "It was Zina who invited me, Carol. Would I have declined her invite?”

“Shut the fuck up, you disgusting vermin. I know what you are on to and I promise you that if you ever speak to my brother again I'll make sure you get into trouble with the Alpha and he rusticates you from school.”

Suppressing a smile at the irony of Carol's threats and especially the reality that D'angelo would rather banish her from the pack than hurt me, I remained silent.

Amari, however, couldn't hold back. She stood up, her voice steady and calm. “Maybe you forgot, but the alpha made it very clear—no bullying or discrimination here. So, how about you and your purplish ensemble take your leave?"

Carol's glare froze and she was about to hit Amari when the homeroom teacher walked into the class. Since there were strict rules on D'angelo's stance on bullying, the teacher was going to report her if she did anything stupid.

After lunch, I began to feel off, my body complained in ways I couldn't understand. I felt extreme restlessness and was sweating like a fountain.

My thighs were strangely swollen, and when I hurried to the restroom to investigate, they were very red and hot.

I panicked, trying to understand what it meant. The surge of my pheromones was overwhelming, and a longing for D'Angelo hit me.

I got home and dashed upstairs to get naked under the shower.  I immersed myself in a cold bath hoping to curb the rising heat within me. But instead of relief, the discomforting sensation grew worse.

Feeling utterly helpless, I sat there waiting for my mom to come back