Fifty-four

Kira

I felt like the most worthless piece of trash that had been thrown inside a garbage can when D'angelo abandoned me standing there.

All my dreams were crushed by his actions. I could feel him pushing me away. His words continued like a broken record in my head, and his scent lingered in the air, making me feel even worse.

I begged him like a dog without hope.  Did it follow that he would never truly embrace me in his life if he was unable to mark me?

Did that mean I would never be fully accepted into his life if he could not mark me?

A loud, hot sob broke through my tears and before I knew it, I was sobbing uncontrollably. I hated myself for succumbing to them. It was awful to feel so exposed and alone.

I searched my mind in a desperate attempt to come up with a plan of action. I went inside, put on a long turtleneck and sweatshirt, and made my way back to the veranda.

I need to ask him to reject me. Yes, that was the solution. But who was I fooling? In all fairness, I knew D'Angelo loved and cared about me and I felt the same way.

But this unsealed bond was like poison seeping into my bones, corrupting every cell in my body and turning them toxic. If I wasn't careful, the effects would take over everything I owned within days and they'd eventually destroy me.

No matter how much I tried to fight it, I would always crave him, craving the closeness we shared. And what irritated me even more was that I still could not get what I needed.

My chest hurt and tightened at the thought of rejection. I couldn't bear the thought of losing him, yet I couldn't bear the thought of hoping that one day, he'd mark me

Our love was a curse and a heavy weight that I was afraid would break me. I missed the days when simpler things preoccupied my mind, like food comfort, friends laughter, and the beauty of flowers. These thoughts were now eclipsed by fear and heartache.

I stood at a crossroads, torn between two painful choices.

My thoughts were interrupted by the unmistakable noise of the omegas returning from the festival. Their laughter floated up to me. Maybe I shouldn't have stayed behind.

Then, the familiar sound of my mom's singing reached my ears. It was a tune that she often hummed when she was happy. It was crazy how I was suffering a similar fate to my mom. Although she got to experience the joys of getting marked, her mate left her.

The sound of the faucet turning on followed and I stayed there for a moment longer, lost in thought, before I heard her calling for me.

"Kira, sweetheart, are you feeling better now?"

I opened the glass partition and stepped into the room. “I'm fine now. How was the festival?"

Mom grinned. “Oh, it was wonderful! We had such a great time. You won't believe it, but we got an equal share of the harvest just like the higher-ranked pack mates! Isn't that amazing?"

I faked my enthusiasm and she continued, not realizing that her daughter was dying inside.

"And D'Angelo, oh, may the goddess be kind to him. He's such a sweetheart and made sure everyone was taken care of and even helped distribute the harvest. He's such a good leader. You're lucky to have him."

My response was a nonchalant shrug and my mom held up a foil-wrapped chunk of meat. "It's a huge chunk, you can have it for dinner."

“I'm not hungry right now."

Mom was surprised. “Since when do you reject meat? Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine. I'll eat it tomorrow, promise."