THIRTY-TWO

Kira

My breathing slowed and became more even as I enjoyed the intense fantasy and imagination I was living in. In some ways, that made me feel better. I'd rather be horny right now than angry.

I cleaned up and headed to the mansion. Once I was certain that the alpha lady would not require my assistance, I locked myself in my room for the remainder of the day, doing my best to forget Amari's betrayal.

I missed Mom, who was still in the nursery. I considered going to the nursery but decided against it.

My mother was my only friend until she was stabbed in the back by the one person I thought I could trust.

Bored and tired of staying in the room, I headed towards the dump site and broke into a run when I spotted some broken flower pots. After looking them over, I prepared to get my hands dirty and went to the garden.

After adding nutrient-rich soil to the pots and picking some flowers to replant, I went to the lake with the sincere hope that the flowers would sprout.

I felt sad when I thought back to how I had tried to persuade Amari that we could start a flower business the last time I was here.

The fact that it would always be in the past made me sad.

I picked yellow sunflowers, purple orchids, and red roses, then I went home, potted each flower, and arranged it on the hidden balcony upstairs. After I colored the pots with paint, they added some vibrancy to the area.

With pride in my heart, I took a step back and grinned, observing my babies. I was so excited for them to grow and bloom.

Mom was starving when she got home later that night, but I held off on telling her what had happened until after she'd gotten dressed and had dinner.

Although Amari's mother was not a nice person, my mom was devastated and disappointed because we had always assumed Amari would be different. She'd demonstrated that an orange doesn't fall far from the tree.

"I hope she doesn't turn out like her mom," my mom said, shaking her head in disappointment.

I shrugged, "I hope so too because I don't know why she would keep such a secret from me. But I'll forgive her and keep my distance if she apologizes and is sincere about it."

"It is a wise choice. We thank the moon goddess that you found your mate before this betrayal. On that note, how was your first day of work?"

I told her all about the alpha lady, how gorgeous, sophisticated, and elegant she was, and that my only assignment was to pick apples.

After listening to me, she became quiet and withdrawn, which disturbed me.

"Kira, I'm scared for you. You are already aware that wealth can lead to a person becoming more evil. I know that's a stereotype, but she has an advantage over you. The public would view her more favorably just because she is carrying the alpha's child."

"Don't worry," I smiled. "I'll be alright."

"Do you need me to talk to the alpha to change your duty?"

My heart skipped a beat. While that would have been the proper course of action, did I really want to give up working at the pack house to witness the alpha in all his glory? There was nothing to be concerned about because his girlfriend didn't appear to be a threat.

"No, Mom, everything's good for the time being."

As if the walls could hear me, the next day was a stark difference. Doom called my name and I answered it.

I made sure to look put together that morning, wearing a light pink dress and styling my hair into a long plait.

As soon as I entered the mansion, I spotted D'Angelo in the foyer with his beta, Leo. My brain stopped working for a minute. The scent of our bond filled my nostrils and my body with desire.

The beta gave me a shady look that made me believe  he knew about the bond, and the alpha also looked at me without trying to hide it.

Extremely uncomfortable, I bowed respectfully and walked past when I heard his Beta.

"How can you get your eyes set on that scrawny little thing? It's like watching a bee chase after honey."

"Don't ever call her a thing," the alpha said in a chilly tone, and I bolted upstairs.

The lady of the house, whose name I discovered was Alexis, was sprawled out on her bed with her hair cascading over the white sheets. She was deep in a phone conversation, grinning.

She gave the order, "Go to my closet and sort the clothes." I bowed and made my way over there.

It would be an understatement to say the closet was a disaster. Sorting through the designer clothes, bags, and shoes that were scattered all over the place would take me at least ten days.

I sat on the Ottoman, confused and unsure of where to start, trying to figure out the best course of action. But I jumped to my feet and tensed up when I heard someone behind me clearing their throat.

"Are you foolish or something?" she cried out. "How dare you sit on my furniture and leave your stench all over it."

"I... I'm sorry, I just wanted to begin sorting out-”

My ears rang when, out of nowhere, she slapped my left cheek. Knowing that there was nothing I could do to stop her abuse, I forced myself to remain composed.

"You ninny! Were you hired just to sit around and do nothing? She exclaimed, raising her voice to a level I was certain others downstairs could hear. And I realized that she was only using me as an outlet for her anger.

"Please, I'm sorry," I attempted to dodge her by crawling away, but she threw a sharp heel in my direction. I winced as it fell squarely on my spinal cord.

"Oh, my goodness!" she cried, her eyes widened in terror, staring at her lap.

She was bleeding.

Confused, I rushed to her side to help her when D'Angelo rushed into the closet, his gaze darkening and his hand around his girlfriend's shoulder.