TWENTY-SEVEN

Kira

"You filthy bastard!" D'Angelo yelled, and I saw drops of sweat run down his brow. There was no damn way my mate was here.

My heart was pumping like an engine. I had never felt such relief in my life as I did upon seeing D'Angelo. The border guards would have alternated between fucking my mom and me if he had come in five minutes later.

Bile rose in my throat at the memory of the near-sexual abuse my mom had endured at the hands of these guards because I insisted on leaving the pack.

Raw anger flowed through D'Angelo's veins, and he gave them swift, powerful kicks. He showed a level of murderous anger I had never seen. I'm pretty sure they’d be knocked out cold if someone didn't stop him.

Mom grabbed me into a tight hug, her heart beating like a clock. The guard that assaulted me doubled over, clutching his stomach as a look of shock and pain spread across his face.

D'Angelo hit the heel of his boot into another guard's groin, and I smiled in satisfaction when I realized it was the pie-faced dude who tried to mess with my mom. Blood dribbled from his nose as he begged for mercy.

"So, is this your current routine?" He yelled. The others who weren't involved shrank back in fear.

D'Angelo's hatred for the guards was far from over. His fingers crushed one's neck and the guard shrieked in terror.

"What the hell, Igor?" D'Angelo yelled at the chief guard. "How could he let this happen? You must safeguard others, not to mistreat them.

The head guard, who was confused and drenched, ran over to join us.

"Please, Alpha—it was an accident." I went to spend some time with my mate who just had a baby and left these stupid guards in charge. I would never have allowed this if I knew what was going on. I swear I had no hand in this."

I averted my gaze like a guilty child when D'Angelo shot me a chilly stare.

Without turning around, he yelled at us, "Come with me," and requested a van to drive us home.

His temper boiled over while driving. He seemed to be able to restrain the rage that was about to overwhelm him. His hand was holding the steering wheel so tightly that I was afraid it would break.

D'Angelo was driving fast; my sweaty legs stuck to the seat, and I avoided his gaze. The fact that I was so close to being raped shocked me. Not only did the guards force their hands up my shirt, but one of them whispered into my ear, ‘Don’t struggle. Just relax and enjoy yourself.’

I shivered violently at the thought of having my body torn apart by an unknown person. My whole body wanted to hide, curled into a ball.

I sat silently with my hands folded in my lap. My gaze met D’Angelo’s through the cracked windshield of the rickety van.

"What the hell were both of you thinking to escape the pack at this time of the night?” He asked, swerving past some wolves on patrol. “Do you have a death wish?"

The possessiveness of his tone pissed me off. I tapped my foot, containing my anger. My mom noticed. She glared at me and nudged me to stop.

"We are sorry, Alpha," she spoke for us, her voice trembling.

"You're her mother, I suppose?"

"Yes," she nodded.

He didn't say a word until we got to the Omega house. He opened my side of the door, and I swallowed hard, feeling a painful tightness in my throat. The mating scent was making it very difficult for me to breathe.