Fifty-Eight

Kira

The cool water long turned tepid around me and I had somehow found sleep in the tub. It was the gentle shake from my mom that woke me up.

"Kira? Why on earth are you sleeping in the bathtub?" she asked, bewildered.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I sat up, feeling suddenly self-conscious. "I... I don't know, Mom. I felt off after lunch, and it just got worse."

She knelt beside the tub, her eyes scanning my face, searching for clues to my condition. "What do you mean 'off'? Tell me everything, honey."

I took a deep breath, gathering my thoughts. "It started with restlessness, then sweating a lot. And my thighs, they're swollen and red. I also noticed a rash."

At the mention of the rash, her face turned grave. "Oh, dear," she sighed, "It sounds like you're in heat."

My cheeks burned. Heat? How was I in heat when D'Angelo hadn't marked me?

"But isn't that for... I mean, I thought you had to be... with someone for that to happen?" My voice trembled as I spoke. She reached out, taking my hand in hers, squeezing gently.

"Kira, being in heat can happen when your mate has touched and made you feel good, you know, kisses here and there, foreplay."

Oh no!

This was super cringe and embarrassing. No one in their right senses would want to discuss such private issues with their mom. She now knew that I had been sneaking around with D'Angelo.

She could tell I was very uncomfortable but she continued to explain. "Kira, you're a woman now. Even if I'm not with you all the time I know that your mate has touched you. I see the way he looks at you even if he hasn't marked you yet. It's a natural response of your body calling to him and it's nothing to be ashamed of."

I blinked back the sudden moisture in my eyes, "I didn't know. I...I thought... I just didn't think it would happen like this."

My mom's face softened, and she squeezed my hand. "It's okay, honey. We'll get through this together. You need to get out of the tub."

I accepted her outstretched hand and wore a bathrobe. My mom returned to the room with a small glass of what looked like water but I knew better. The liquid was slightly cloudy, and I eyed it with my stomach heaving.

"Here, drink this. It should help with the pain," she said, extending the glass towards me.

I took the glass, my nose wrinkling at the faint, earthy scent coming from it. Bracing myself, I took a small sip and immediately grimaced. It tasted bitter, with an underlying sweetness that did little to hide the overall unpleasantness. It felt cool against my tongue but left a warm trail down my throat.

"Ugh, that's awful," I managed to say after swallowing the last drop, handing the empty glass back to her.

She chuckled softly, taking the glass. "I know, but it helps. Give it a moment to work."

We sat in silence for a few minutes, the only sound was my rough breathing.

"I suggest that you shift and run in the hills. Being in your wolf form during this time can help make the heat less painful. It's what our kind has done for ages."

I nodded slowly, "Okay, I'll try that,"
The thought of running free, with the wind in my fur and the solid earth beneath my paws sounded good.

"Good," she said, standing up. "I'll prepare some food for when you return. "

"Do you experience this in Dad's absence?" I blurted and she flushed pink, clearly embarrassed by my question.

"Shit, I'm sorry Mom, I shouldn't have asked."