Eighty-Eight

Kira

Thanks to the mental distress that arose from my disturbing thoughts of D'Angelo, I paced back and forth in the room with my eyes fixed on my phone in my hand.

The last time I heard from him was over ten hours ago, and now his phone was switched off. I couldn't help but imagine the worst. I needed to be sure that he was fine.

Because of this, I couldn't sleep. All I did was call and wait and hope.

I had repeatedly questioned the bodyguards about their boss's whereabouts, but they remained clueless. It made my heart race with growing anxiety..

"Kira, please come to bed and get some sleep," my mom pleaded with me. "D'Angelo is fine. Maybe he doesn't need any distractions."

"No," my voice trembled. "This was the same thing that happened during the war. I don't want any surprises. If he was okay, he would have called me and not left me hanging like this."

My mom sat there, not knowing what to do, while I continued pacing back and forth, sending a ton of messages and voicemails, hoping that he would call me back. The minutes ticked by, and my worry turned to fear. D'Angelo would never ignore me like this. Mom tried to comfort me, but I didn't listen to her.

Strangely, I felt a bit better in the morning and kept hoping that he was fine. I was heading to the kitchen to get some water when I noticed some movement at the pantry. I ignored it at first, but from the sounds, I knew that two people were making out.

Curious to know who they were and why they were hiding, I went to see for myself and almost collapsed in shock at the sight of my mom kissing one of the bodyguards. It wasn't just a flimsy kiss. Their tongues were entangled in a passionate battle between lips and tongues. They had each other pinned on top of the island.

My brain was frozen and I couldn't speak or move. My mom was the first to notice my presence, and she shrieked, jumping off the bodyguard as if she was sitting on a cactus plant. I ran back upstairs because I was too stunned to believe what I'd seen.

Not only did I never anticipate my mom finding a lover after my dad left, but the dude was younger than her. He seemed like someone in his late twenties to early thirties. It was very uncommon in my world for females to be with younger males.

My mom barged into the room, lacking composure and a flush that crept across her cheeks. She was visibly sweating, and she couldn't hold my gaze.

My toes curled up, and I sat on the bed, pulling my knees together.

"What's going on, Mom?" I asked softly. "I wasn't expecting to see that."

Gritting her teeth, she slid down on the ottoman and fiddled with her sleeve. Although I was not mad at her, my thoughts were muddled.

"You don't have to be ashamed," I said to her. "I just want to know if it's a fling or..."

"It's nothing," she said in a rush. "I swear to you, it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, and it will never happen again."

Rolling my eyes, I sat up straighter and faced my mom. "Mom, this isn't normal behavior for you. You're normally very open with your life. I'm surprised that you haven't told me about him yet.I may be young, but over the past few months, I have been in a roller coaster relationship with my mate. I know love and lust when I see one. So, tell me, what is going on?"

"Oh, Kira," she groaned into her palms. "I'm so ashamed of myself."

I closed the distance between us and held her hands, squeezing lightly. "But why? Love is a beautiful thing. Well, I must admit, it's weird for me to have found my mother in such a steamy position, but you've got blood running through your veins. I just want to know what's going on between you and the bodyguard.”