Seventy-Seven

Kira

The bruises on my skin were not as bad as I had expected.  Despite the purple and blue lines on my arms, I wasn't in pain. I felt better after lying my back on the cold floor, allowing the chill to seep into my bones. The pain was minimal, with only a faint pinch against my neck as if an invisible needle had been pressed into the skin.

I shut my eyes, attempting to block out the memories of cruel words and mocking laughter that lingered in my mind. I couldn't get over the humiliation caused by the bullies at school. Their taunts and jeers rang in my ears, and I wondered why people enjoyed bullying and found satisfaction in tearing others down.

Anger rose within me, and I made a silent vow to myself. that these bullies would be held accountable for their cruelty one day, whatever it took.

Zion entered with a plate containing frankincense, a woody and spicy fragrance that soothed my soul.

"Amari is making lunch for you. "She asked me to bring you this," he explained.

"You look funny upside down," I joked, attempting to erase his concerned expression. He smiled without teeth and put the fragrance on a small table near my bed.

I pushed myself up, holding the table's edge and leaning forward until my face was almost touching it. I inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, allowing the scent to circulate through my lungs. I exhaled loudly and sat back, rubbing the soreness between my shoulder blades.

"Thank you, Zion."

My voice was hoarse from misuse, and my throat hurt. Even speaking seemed difficult. Zion was looking at me with an odd expression as if he wanted to ask me a question but wasn't sure how.

"You better say whatever's on your mind," I said as calmly as I could, even though I could feel his eyes boring into my soul. "If you have any problems, please talk to me."

"Did you tell the Alpha about Leo?"

I took another drag of the frankincense before responding, "No, I didn't want to stress him out while he was healing. But tonight, I will let him know because I can't take being beaten at school anymore. "Maybe he can handle everything at once."

Zion responded with a nod.  "Great, but when you tell him, make sure he does not take immediate action."

I frowned. "Why?"

He paused for a moment, obviously trying to figure out the best way to say what he needed to say. After some thought, he concluded, "Because Leo is cunning and already has a group of followers. We must be strategic to catch Leo and his cohorts. Being too forward won't do D'angelo or any one of us any good," Zion said.

"D'Angelo is the alpha," I said, deadpan. "The more time he wastes, the higher his chances of defeat, so why wait?"

Zion brushed his fingers through his hair. "Let me explain better, starting with you. You waited to tell him the truth because you were concerned about his health and knew it would be disastrous to inform him sooner. That's wisdom. The alpha's power is currently limited.  He has a large army of soldiers around him, but Leo has friends among them who support him."

I listened to Zion speak, sounding cautious, and was impressed by how he had matured. Zion, the troublemaker who would have done anything to prevent D'Angelo and me from getting together, had matured into a thoughtful and considerate young man.

Memories of his irritable antics filled my mind, but it was clear now that he genuinely cared about D'angelo's well-being. I was amazed at how he had changed from a troublemaker to a strategic thinker. I needed people like him in this crazy situation I was in.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" His gaze was piercing, waiting for my response.

I couldn't think of an appropriate response for a minute or two. "I'm not sure, I just think your change is positive, and I would like to know why you stopped hating D'angelo. You wish him the worst of luck, and here you're, giving him advice."