Chapter 7

Ben walked into the living room with three big boxes in his arms. He was being careful not to trip on anything as he shuffled across the room. He carefully set them down, then stretched out his back. As he did, he could see Nick crouched over and reading something.

"Oi!" He called, scaring Nick. It made him smile.

"Jesus," Nick breathed out, "you and Cass have a way of scaring the shit out people." He tossed the book into the box next to him.

Ben chuckled. "Where is she, anyways?" He peaked into the kitchen, but didn't see her. When Nick didn't answer, Ben grew suspicious. "Nick..." Nick pretended to be nose deep in another book. "Where is my girlfriend?"

Nick looked up and asked in a nervously high pitched tone, "But is she your girlfriend?" Ben narrowed his eyes. Nick sucked in a deep breath. "She walked to the market down the street for some chilis, but it's been like thirty minutes so I'm not sure where she's at by now..."

He trailed off after Ben's eyes narrowed so low, he felt a chill.

"You let the mother of my child walk to the market in the poring rain all by herself?" His voice was nearly a growl.

Nick shuddered. "Uh, we-well, she insisted and I think you know how she is when you tell her she can't do something...I mean, you can't tell her because she doesn't listen." He started to nervously laugh, but stopped.

Ben glared at him for another moment before storming over to the door and grabbing his jacket. "Go home, Nick," he called. "You're not going to want to be here for this."

He walked out the door in big, angry strides and made his way out of the building. The moment he turned towards the market, he could see a swarm of police cars, firefighters and ambulances surrounding the shop. He stopped in his tracks upon seeing this and his heart dropped to his stomach.

"Oh, God," he breathed out before sprinting over at full speed. Some police officers saw him and put their hands up to stop him. He ran into their hands, hoping he'd be able to burst through. "My girlfriend is in there! She's pregnant!"

As he was struggling with the officers to get through, he heard Cassie's voice say, "Ben?" He stopped and looked over towards the taped off store. Cassie came out with an officer helping her step over the broken glass and get under the tape.

The officers holding Ben back took their hands away and let him go to her. He immediately gripped her face in his hands and looked her in the eyes with so much worry, tears were forming. "Holy shit, baby, I saw the police cars and I just..."

He pulled her into a tight hug. She put her face into his neck and held him. "I'm fine, Ben, I'm fine. I promise." She couldn't help the chuckle that came out.

Ben pulled back and looked at her with the most confused expression. "What's so funny? Nothing about this is funny!"

She put her hands on his cheeks and brought his forehead down to touch her's. "Ben," she softly said, "it's okay. It was a robbery by some teens who practically pissed themselves when the police showed up. The only reason the window is broken is because one of them tripped over himself trying to run so fast. He fell straight though."

Ben looked into her eyes and didn't see a single trace of panic or alert. She was completely calm. He used this and took a deep breath to calm himself down. He closed his eyes and just enjoyed the feeling her her thumbs stoking across his cheeks, his hands going over her swollen belly and feeling flutters of movement from his son.

When he opened his eyes, she was still staring into his. Without even thinking, he closed the gap between their lips and kissed her. She eased into the kiss and let her hands wander from his cheeks to the sides of his neck. His hands went to her sides and he pulled her until her pregnant belly was pressed against his toned one.

After pulling away slowly, Ben kept his face close to her's. "Can I please take you home and just order some bloody take out?"

Cassie snorted as she nodded. "Yes, you can. You know what the real bummer was?"

Ben smirked as he took her hand and started leading her away. "What's that, my love?"

"They didn't even have any fuckin' chilis!"