Chapter 30

"Breck! Oh my God!" Katie squealed and jumped around when she opened the door to a beaming Breck. She brought him in for a hug and he lifted her up in typical Breck fashion. As soon as he put her down, Cassie appeared around the corner.

"Breck!" She ran up to him to get the same hug, but the moment he saw her stomach, he retreated his arms.

"Woah! Cass, you're pregnant!?" He brought her into a softer hug instead. "When did this happen? How? How far along are you? Holy shit!" He could barely contain his excitement!

Cassie and Katie both giggled. "I'm six months," she told him. "As for how, you'll have to have a discussion with your parents about that."

Breck rolled his eyes. "Alright, smart ass, I meant who."

"Me," Ben's voice called as he came around the corner. Although Breck wasn't his favorite of the friend group, he still made an effort by giving a smile. "I also gave her that ring."

"Oh, shit," Breck said with a smile. "Damn, guess I've been away for a while!"

Cassie took his arm and led him into the house. "You most certainly have! How was your three and a half year excursion? Your parents must hate you!"

They went into the kitchen where Tom was just helping stir the spaghetti sauce. Breck told Cassie, "They did, but they understood. Hey, I'm Breck!" He stuck his hand out to Tom.

Tom's heard about this guy from both Ben and Katie. Ben's version of him was much worse than Katie's. He almost got a little jealous hearing Katie talk about him so much these past few days. He got into contact with her saying he was coming back from his trip and wanted to see both her and Cassie. Tom now understood Ben's disdain for the kid and even more so when he saw how good looking he was.

Nevertheless, Tom put on a smile and shook his hand. "Pleasure! I'm Tom, I've heard a lot about you." Ben snickered when he saw Tom put his hand on Katie's waist. He's still denying that they're dating, but from what Cassie has relayed from Katie, they're doing a lot more than just having sex.

"Man, I need to get myself a girl I guess, huh? Now that you two are taken!" He brought them both into a headlock - Cassie much more gently than Katie - as they laughed. Tom made eye contact with Ben, but then quickly averted and went back to stirring. That was the moment Ben knew that Tom definitely felt something for Katie.

"Drink, Breck?" Ben offered. "We've got a full bar, beer, sodas, water." Cassie went over to him and rubbed at his arm, thankful for the effort he was making. Breck was interested in checking out the bar, so Ben led him to it after giving Cassie a wink. "Join us, Tom."

Tom rubbed at Katie's back, then followed the men out to the living room. Cassie and Katie snickered at each other. "He is so jealous," Cassie whispered. "You can't tell me you're not dating."

"According to him, we are not," Katie told her. She smirked. "We totally are, though. He's just been single for so long, he doesn't see it yet."

Cassie sighed, "Please be careful. I love Tom, but I love you more. You've been hurt too many times these past couple of years. You deserve someone who's going to take care of you."

"But he does," Katie smiled. "I don't even think he notices it! He takes me out, he buys me things, cooks me dinner, gives me crazy head every night. He even makes sure I have at least three orgasms before he reaches his own. I mean come on! You can't get that with guys our age!"

Cassie busted up laughing because she couldn't agree more! "Well, as long as he doesn't hurt you..." She warned.

"He won't," Katie promised. "I've prepared myself for the day when he realizes what he's doing and to break it off. Trust me. Besides, I don't want him to feel pressured of obligated. I want someone who wants me."

Cassie threw a couple boxes of pasta into some boiling water. "Well, with the way he was looking at Breck, I'd say he does."

The men came back in a few minutes later with Manhattan's in hand and laughing. Cassie and Katie exchanged a look that said they were impressed Breck was even still alive. Tom handed Katie a glass of wine and Ben handed Cassie a wine glass of water. He knows how she hates to feel left out.

By the time dinner was done, it looked like the men were becoming best friends. Breck talked about his time in Europe and Asia, the people he met, the places he stayed and how no contact with anyone nearly drove him insane.

Ben was increasingly interested in the no contact with anyone and they spoke about that for the better part of dinner. He never had a full conversation with Breck, but was quite enjoying this one. Breck was praising Cassie's home cooked meal, as he hasn't had one in nearly four years.

Once everyone finished and the conversation settled, Ben kicked Tom's foot and gestured towards the dishes. "We'll get these while you three catch up," he insisted. Tom nodded and followed Ben's lead. They collected the plates and brought them into the kitchen.

"When Katie told me they were close, I didn't think they were that close," Tom said. "Between the hugs and headlocks, I can't tell what they are."

Ben chuckled. "They're friends, Tom. For someone who isn't dating anyone, you seem to be awfully jealous. Breck's an airhead, but he's harmless."

"Says the one who wouldn't stop going off on him a few years ago," Tom laughed.

Ben rolled his eyes. "I've changed since then. Besides, he seems to have really matured. We both have, I suppose." They put the plates in the dishwasher, put away the leftovers and scrubbed the pots and pans. They took their time after hearing the three friends continuously laugh in the other room.

"Here, mate," Ben said as he handed Tom a beer. They both leaned against the counter and listened to the continuous laughs from the other room. "Want to head to the backyard for a smoke?"

"A smoke?" Tom asked. "I thought you quit."

Ben shrugged. "I indulge every once in a while. Cass doesn't mind so much."

"So much?" Tom laughed. "I think that means she minds, mate."

"I use hand sanitizer, chew gum, the whole thing. She was pissed when she found out, though. I don't know, she gets why I do it it seems."

Tom took a swig of his beer. "And why is that?"

Ben sighed and shook his head. "I'm just so fucking stressed. Between trying to make sure Cassie doesn't have another miscarriage, to prepping the nursery, work, that bloody psychopath getting out—."

"Wait, wait, wait," Tom interrupted, "she's out? How is she out? I thought the judge ordered her to be there for a year?"

Ben shook his head. "No, three months. He recommended a year to her parents, but they took her out the moment the three months was up. Fucking pricks. That's what we get for not pressing charges, I suppose." He drank his beer. "Anyways, it's all just been a lot. I do want to quit again, before my son is born."

"Better start on that soon," Tom chuckled. "But yeah, I'll have a smoke."

The two snuck their way into the backyard and Ben took out his cigarette pack. They shared one while swapping stories about how'd they sneak out like this when they were teenagers to smoke. Tom's dad caught them on time, but instead of getting in trouble, he smoked one with them and never said a word.

They were sharing their second one when the sliding door opened. "Are you serious?" Cassie's voice asked. They both turned to see her and Katie watching in disapproval. Ben dropped the cigarette and put it out with his shoe. Cassie rolled her eyes. "Breck's leaving."

Everyone said their goodbyes at the door, including Katie and Tom. Once alone, Cassie shut the door and stared at Ben. He sighed and nodded. "Yeah, I know. I'll quit again."