Chapter 16

Ben sighed when he heard the knock on the door. He debated leaving whoever it was there, but ultimately opted to see who it was. After all, it was nearly midnight and he knew Cassie needed some space. He put on some pants, then made his way down the stairs.

He looked through the peep hole, then let out a heavy sigh. He leaned his forehead against the door and truly debated opening the door. But he got the better of himself.

"Kate," he sighed as he opened it, "this is really not a good...time. What happened?" He saw her tear stained cheeks and furrowed his brows. For a moment, he thought she had been hurt, but didn't see any marks or signs of that being the case.

"Is Cass home?" She tried to asked with an even voice, but it only came out wobbly and cracked.

Ben sighed. "Cass! You might want to come down here!" He stepped aside and let her inside. He turned on the lights and saw Katie was an absolute mess. He had a feeling this argument with Cassie was not going to be resolved anytime soon.

A few moments later, Cassie came down tying her robe and looking curious. When she saw Katie, she rushed down the rest of the way. "Katie? Oh my God, what happened?" She took her friend by the arm and led her into the living room without even looking at Ben.

The girls sat down on the couch and Katie immediately slumped into Cassie's arms and started balling. Ben stood idly in the background and watched Cassie hug her friend and offer her comfort.

"What happened?" Cassie asked her again. "Is it Richard?"

"It's Richard and Nick," she sobbed. "The fuckers!"

"What does Nick have to do with this?"

Katie sniffled and stuttered trying to get the words out, eventually saying, "Th-They went to-to prison!"

Now Ben's interest was very peaked. He stepped forward a bit to hear what Cassie's ex had done. "What!?" Cassie screeched. "How!? Why!? What...what the fuck!?"

Katie kept nodding. "I know, I know!! Apparently the two were partners in a fucking money laundering scheme!"

Cassie's jaw dropped, as did Ben's behind them. Without thinking, Cassie said, "That makes a lot of..." She trailed off when Katie looked up at her with tear filled eyes. "...trouble for the both of them, holy shit!"

Ben snickered behind her.

"Katie, I'm so sorry," Cassie said as she hugged her.

"Why does this always happen to me," she cried. "Every good guy I meet is just another jerk! I want what you and Ben have so bad."

Cassie smirked and, for the first time, glanced over at Ben. He gave her a small smirk back. Cassie turned back to Katie. "Yeah, well, it's not all sunshine and roses, Kate." That made Ben's smile go down.

"Yeah, but," Katie sniffled, "he loves you and you love him. Who cares if it isn't sunshine and roses all the time. It's not supposed to be. I want the good and the bad times with someone. I want true love like that. You're so lucky."

After crying for a little longer, Cassie poured them some wine and they eventually got happy and tipsy. Ben had sat himself in the kitchen at the island and just leaned on his hands. He listened to the girls giggling, whispering, gossiping, crying. He glanced over to the clock and saw it was almost three.

He was exhausted, but didn't want to go to bed without Cassie. As he was wiping the sleep from his face, he heard Katie say, "I should get out of your hair."

"Are you sure?" Cassie asked. "Do you want to stay the night?"

"No, no it's okay. I know I interrupted something. Were you guys having sex or something?"

Cassie snorted, "No, we weren't. Actually, we had just finished."

"Did you get plowed?"

Cassie snickered. "Yes, Katie, I got plowed."

"Good," Katie cried as she hugged her. "I'm so glad you get a proper banging." Ben wandered out by that point to say his goodbyes. Katie saw him, then went up to him and said, "Thank you for properly banging my friend, Ben."

He smiled and gave her a hug. "Of course, Kate. I'm sorry about Richard. Not so much Nick." That got her to laugh, which got Cassie to smile. "You sure you don't want to stay? We have the guest room made up."

"No, no it's okay. I could use the drive. And, Ben?" He quirked an eyebrow. "Apologize to her or I'll kick your ass," she lowly told him. She then gave him a smile. "Bye!" Cassie walked her out and made sure she got down the road okay before coming back inside. She leaned against the door, closed her eyes and let out a deep breath.

When she opened them, Ben was standing there looking sheepish. "Are you too tired to talk about this?" She shook her head. "Okay. How's your hand?" He craned his neck to try and get a look at it. She covered it with her other one.

"It's fine. That was a really stupid fight to start, Ben."

He scoffed, "Me? I—." He stopped when he saw the look she was giving him. He took a deep breath. "I thought you liked Manhattans, okay? I just wanted you to try it."

"I have tried it multiple times. I hate it more and more each time I have it. You don't get to have a say in what I like and what I try. Do you understand me?" He was shocked by her tone, but nodded nonetheless. "Do you have anything else to say to me?"

He nodded again. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm sorry. I am. You were right, I ruined a lovely evening and it was a stupid fight to start. What can I do?"

Shaking her head she told him, "Nothing right now. I'm too tired to even comprehend that my ex is going to federal prison." She huffed and pushed herself off the door. As she walked past Ben to go upstairs, she could feel him brush her arm. She ignored it and continued up.

Ben gave her a few moments before following. She was in bed and turning off her bedside light when he came in. He got under the covers with her and lay on his back. He turned his head to the side and saw Cassie was facing away from him. He desperately wanted to spoon, but thought it best to just keep his distance.

The next morning, when Cassie woke up, Ben was in the kitchen making breakfast. He had made the biggest mess she had seen in this kitchen. Pots, pans, mixing bowls, and all were piled in the sink, smoke was coming from the stovetop and Ben was letting out murmurs of curses.

"What's going on here?" Cassie skeptically asked.

Ben quickly turned to her and smiled. "Morning, dear. I thought I would surprise you with breakfast in bed, but there was a little mishap."

"A little?" She giggled.

He glared at her. "Alright, a big mishap. I thought if I cooked the eggs and pancakes at the same time, they would be done at the same time, but I was wrong. They burnt, the eggs got overcooked and stuck to the pan and now I'm...trying to salvage. What's so funny?"

Cassie couldn't help but laugh, but covered her mouth to try and hide her smile. Obviously it failed. "Nothing," she laughed, "this is just so adorable. Are you doing this to apologize?"

His smile fell to a smaller one. "Yes. I'm sorry I ruined last night, baby, I am. We were having a lovely time, and then what I've been trying to be better at got the best of me. It was the stupidest fight ever."

"The stupidest," she confirmed as she walked up to him, "but I have a feeling there are going to be stupider ones."

He smirked and grazed his fingers over her hips. "You think so?"

She shrugged. "Of course. Together forever is bound to make us have some stupid fights, don't you think?"

"Yeah," he chuckled, "you're right. I promise, though, none of them will be like that again. May I give you an apology kiss in lieu of this unfortunate breakfast?" She nodded, so he gave her a gentle kiss on the lips.

When he pulled away, she smiled up at him. "You can also take me out for an apology brunch."