Chapter 23

The end of the school year was always so odd for him. No responsibilities for at least two months, which stressed him out. Cassie insists he relax, but how can he with nothing to do? He didn't like sitting in his regular clothes, mindlessly watching television. He loves to read and always has a Summer reading list ready to delve into, but he's already read the first three and needs to reel it back if his list will last him the Summer.

The worst part was, because of her new job, Cassie is gone during the day. She would already be home when he did, so there was no painfully waiting for her. He decided to text her to tell her how much he misses her.

"Are you seriously that bored?" She called and asked with a little laugh. "I only left, like, two hours ago!" She called when he sent her his text and now he felt a little embarrassed by it.

"I know, darling, I'm sorry I shouldn't have interrupted you at work especially when you haven't been gone very long. I'm sorry." He leaned his forehead against one of the kitchen cupboards and sighed.

"It's so sweet," she told him. "I love that you miss me already. How about we go out to lunch? My treat."

He had to chuckle. "You know damn well it'll be my treat because I can't not take care of you."

"Then let me take care of you for once. You deserve it."

At eleven-thirty, he was ready to go. He didn't have to be there until noon, but he didn't have anything going on so he decided on leaving early. When he got to the restaurant, he ordered her her favorite non-alcoholic beverage and an appetizer he knew she'd like.

It was a few minutes past noon when she came slightly rushing into the place. "Sorry, sorry, I'm so sorry," she quickly said as she came to the table. "I tried to be on time, but this stupid meeting ran long when fucking Lawrence decided to open his mouth to talk."

Ben had to chuckle. "Isn't he trying to make partner?"

She huffed. "Well, yeah, but he's still a fucking prick." That made him laugh even more. "But hello, my adorable Golden Retriever boyfriend."

They shared a kiss, Ben with a confused look. "Erm...did you just call me a dog?"

"Yes," she smiled. "It's a compliment, don't worry. God, I am starving!" He always found her ADHD moments entertaining.

"Well, you are eating for two. How's my boy doing?" He ran his hand over her stomach.

"Good," she said, concentrating on the menu. "No problems today. Or any day. Hm...I'm thinking for an appetizer we get the—." She looked up and gasped. It's like her wish for Artichoke Dip appearing at that very moment had come true!

Ben smiled proudly at his ability to guess that's what she wanted. The server set it down with Cassie's mouth dropped open with a smile. When he walked away she told Ben, "I fucking love you."

He had to laugh. "I fucking love you, too, baby. Go on, eat up." He watched her dig into the bread and dip and eat it with a smile on her face.

"God I needed this. Today - this week, actually - has just been awful. Lawrence has been such a fuck." Ben leaned on his elbows and prepared himself to listen. Ever since they hired this Lawrence guy, her life at work has been more than unfair.

She continued, "First, he gets this promotion over me. Like, what the fuck? I have better numbers than him! Sure, it's not exactly what I want to do with my career, but it is a stepping stone! Then, he comes into my office today, right? And he has the audacity to comment on my weight!"

Ben perked up at that. "Wait, what? What did he say?"

She scoffed and mimicked his tone, " 'Oh, Cass, didn't I tell you? I had them put in a healthier vending machine so you'll stop eating all that candy. A body like that doesn't need to go to waste.' Like, what the fuck!?"