Chapter 51

Back in their room, the two began to recount their experiences.

They had gotten up early, worried about the issue mentioned the day before, so they made a special trip to the police station to confirm that the police hadn't released anyone.

"They should at least wait until we've left, right? Otherwise, it would be a total loss of face."

However, upon arriving at the police station, they were hit with the devastating news of Su Cheng's death.

The folks at the K City police station even tried to comfort them: "He's dead, so what? He was nothing but a thug anyway."

Their attitude didn't seem at all like they intended to investigate the truth.

Xu Chengdong said, "We saw the body with our own eyes. They were carrying it out and even asked us if we wanted it."

The man with the beard was utterly disdainful: "Why are people in K City all like this?"

Bai Yue listened quietly to their narrative.

Since they had seen it with their own eyes, faking the body was unlikely. So, Su Cheng was truly dead?

In a place like K City, and with someone like Su Cheng who had many enemies, his death wasn't surprising. But it still felt odd.

Cao Xun said, "He got what he deserved. Why bother about it so much? We're not the cops."

The bearded man and Xu Chengdong exchanged glances.

Although there was some truth to those words, the fact that a living, breathing person just yesterday had become a cold corpse today left a bitter taste in their mouths, regardless of who that person was.

"I'm a bit worried that Su Cheng's death is related to the Source Crystals," one of them said.

Upon hearing this, all three turned their attention to Bai Yue.

Xu Chengdong was puzzled, "But wasn't Su Cheng the boss of this whole operation? Who would have a reason to kill him?"

Cao Xun realized, "Are you suggesting there might be someone else above him?"

Bai Yue replied, "A prize as big as this, Su Cheng couldn't have swallowed it alone. By revealing the location of the Source Crystals to us, he might have stepped on someone else's toes. So, killing him isn't out of the question."

The room fell into silence at his words.

What they had thought was a straightforward three-star merit mission—to find the Source Crystals—turned out to be entangled in a complex web of dark interests far beyond their imagination.

Seeing everyone's solemn faces, Bai Yue offered some reassurance, "Don't overthink it. At the very least, this confirms that the information Su Cheng gave us was true. All we need to do now is find the Source Crystals. We can leave the rest for the military to sort out."

"Yeah, you're right," Xu Chengdong quickly agreed.

Su Cheng's murder was an unexpected twist for them, but their mission remained unchanged despite the surprise.

The waters of K City were deep, and the unfolding events were beyond what they, mere military academy students, could resolve. The priority was to advance the mission by completing the merit task as soon as possible.

The three of them left the room.

Just as Bai Yue was about to follow, he noticed Mu Sihan leaning against the window, seemingly lost in thought.

"What's up?" Bai Yue inquired.

Hearing his voice, Mu Sihan looked up. After a moment of silence, he averted his gaze and said, "I was just thinking... how his death came so easily."