Newt | My Enemy

I look at Newt from across the Glade. I stare at his toned arms, veins glistening in sweat. Newt was helping the other boys create another ladder as the last one broke a couple of days ago. I watch him work with a big smile on his face, always optimistic and hopeful, I hate that. I hate him.

I walk over to the group of boys, arms crossed against my chest. "It's hopeless you know" I state. "You're just wasting your time".

Newt who was once smiling turned with a scowl. I don't know what he hates more, what I said or me. "We don't need your negativity around here Y/N" Newt says, turning back around and continuing to hammer the wood in front of him.

"I just think that your ladder idea is stupid, and honestly, everybody else thinks it too..." I pause and look around at the other boys, waiting for them to agree, but no one does.

A moment of silence passed by, "but now I look like the bad guy for being the first one to come out and say that your idea is shit... you're welcome everyone".

My eyes are still pinned to Newt's shoulders, pacing up and down like he's out of breath... or just really really angry. 

He turns around, frustration evident in his deadly stare. Newt doesn't like being told the truth, and that's why I love saying it.

He drops his hammer onto the table with a loud thud, and walks over to me slowly. As Newt comes closer and closer I notice the boys behind him with mixed emotions. Some are concerned, some are over it, some are loving it.

At this point, Newt is inches away from me, I could almost smell the sweat on his body. Luckily, I'm still crossed armed, creating a barrier between us. He looks down into my eyes with fury that I've not seen before.

"Is what she says true?" He asks spreading his arms apart in question. "Do you all think this is a waste of time?" He snaps around and look at the boys surrounding us.

No one says a word.

With Newt's back turned, I lock eyes with Thomas who is among the pack. I mouth to him to speak up and say something. But his eyes drift to look at Newt instead, silent. Asshole.

Newt swings back to me with his arms still wide open. "Well, there you have it love", he smiles. "Looks like your alone".

I step backwards, chuckling under my breath in disbelief. I look back at Thomas, then Minho and then Gally, shaking my head. I know what they say behind closed doors, what they all say, but no one's brave enough to admit it. Newt thinks he's in charge of this place, he's always calling the shots, making the rules, but he's weak, and everybody knows it.

I turn around and drag myself back into my room. Every bit of me wants to go back and fight those boys for not backing me up. I sigh as I crash into my bed, and close my eyes.

~~~

I wake up with a startle, quickly looking outside my window. It's evening. I look up at the sky and see that the moon is just above the glade walls, I gather that it's quite late. I didn't mean to nap for so long, the heat and the anger of the day made me exhausted. I lie back down into bed.

I continue to toss and turn, trying to get back to sleep but can't. The heat from the day still lacing my room, my skin sticky from the humidity. I feel disgusting so I decide to have a shower.