*125: Brief, to Your Own Grief

A/N: Yeah, so the next 10 chapters (maybe more or less AFTER the Hiatus) will be for the Ghost Hunting stuff. Apologies in advance to those who don't care for it. Which yes, I know I shouldn't apologize for writing free content that is supposed to make me happy, but you know, the internet sucks.

ANYWAY I think once the NEXT chapter comes out, I'll be marking the Ghost Hunting chapters so that those who aren't interested can tell just from the title. For example:

*52: A Masterpiece of Pubes

*55: Looks at You with Rizz

Compared to chapters that are NOT ghost-hunting related:

16: Hancock

Does this sound like a good idea? Please let me know!

♪───O(≧∇≦)O────♪

Once again, last night Malleus put the sleeping spell on you after you two stayed up for another few hours. You don't much sleep at first, since you were forced to wake up at 11 am to go to the secret debriefing meeting with Crewel, Pyro, and Kaiko. You almost made up some excuse to Tinkerbell when he asked about where you were going, but he surprised you by just waving it off.

"You don't have to report to me for everything you do, Your Highness. Sorry, I guess I'm getting too curious, huh?"

You smile in gratitude before you head out, "It's nice that you care, Tink. I'll be back soon, okay?"

----

Crewel hands you a few papers, letting you read through them to Pyro and Kaiko. He figured they might pay more attention to you since Kaiko likes you, and Pyro thinks you're neat.

...He's right, but still.

"It's a traveling carnival called "The Dark Carnival." Pretty self-explanatory, if you ask me," You read off the report with some delay. It's written in English because Crewel loves you, but it takes you a moment to translate the words in your head. "They're set up in Terry Town (the town located on Sage's Island), and they've been here for almost a week by now. The games are a hit, and the rides are entertaining. But there have been rumors already by a mass of people that if you watch the Ringmaster's show and then go into the House of Mirrors, you'll see legitimate ghouls. They chase you through the house to hurt the visitors. Some of them were hurt by the ghouls and skeletons, apparently."

You continue to read off the report, "Of course, it was then released officially by the Ringmaster that those rumors were spread by staff to gain more attraction to the carnival. But... Crewel got an email yesterday saying they were staff working for the crew but would want to keep anonymous."

Pyro rolls his eyes, "Anonymous, huh? How convenient."

"Right? They want us to check it out after hours tonight. It's going to be closed all day tomorrow since they'll be using that day to pack up and leave. They're insistent that we don't miss this opportunity since there's no telling when the carnival will return to Sage's Island." You shake your head, "Honestly, it's pretty obvious that this is trying to lure us out, right? It's... It's almost like Xavier White isn't trying to hide it anymore, and he's challenging us."

Kaiko scrunches his nose, a sign of anxiety and hesitation flashing in his eyes. "Is it really us he's coming after, though?"

Crewel furrows his brows, "What are you insinuating, Renaiko?"

"I mean... I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it, but would Xavier White really be after all of us? Every time the authorities come by after a Ghost Hunt, only [Y/n] and Sir Crewel stay behind while the rest of us go back to the Mirror Chamber to wait it out."