Chapter Three

"So, this is going to be your room for the next few days," I said, leading Scott to the guest room, just a perfect spot for him to come to his senses.

"Wow, what a view! Thanks for hooking me up with this room, Danni. The ocean view is incredible," Scott exclaimed, taking in the surroundings.

"Don't get too comfortable, Scott. You won't be staying long enough to fully enjoy it," I teased.

"I'm not going to get bored, Danni. This view is enough to keep me entertained," Scott retorted with a grin.

"We'll see about that," I replied, clearly skeptical.

As the day waned and the clock struck six, I dragged myself out of bed, drawn by the alluring hues of the sunset outside my window. Making my way to the veranda, I settled in to watch in solitude as the sun dipped below the horizon. My peaceful moment was interrupted by the insistent ringing of my phone. Disappointed to see it was only David, I begrudgingly answered as I let him talk first.

"Hey, bud, can we talk?" David said, seemingly hesitant.

"What's up, David Paterson? Do you need something?" I replied with a hint of sarcasm.

"I can tell you're mad at me. I get it. But I only did that so everything could return to how it should be," David reasoned, trying to explain himself.

"By telling Scott where I am? By telling him I'm going home to the Philippines? You don't get to decide what I want to do with my life, David. Not even Scott, not even my job! So don't lead me on!" I retorted, feeling the need to let my emotions out.

At that moment, I realized that I was unleashing my anger on David. It wasn't fair, but I couldn't hold back. I've always struggled with people trying to control my feelings, thinking they can change me or say things to ease tensions when they can't.

As I stepped out of my room, I was taken aback to see Scott standing in the hallway. His presence only added to my annoyance. "I know you're not telling me something, huh? What did David tell you before you came to visit me at the farm?" I demanded, trying to contain my frustration.

"Nothing much. Just mentioned where you were, 'cause I was curious. That's it," Scott replied casually, leaning against the wall.

"You're lying, Scott," I retorted, glaring at him.

"Look, Danni, I may be good at hiding my feelings, but I've never lied to you, especially not about something as important as this. Cut me some slack," he said, attempting to diffuse the tension.

"Cut yourself some slack? You act like you're the one who lives here. You're just being arrogant," I shot back, feeling a surge of anger at his 'nonchalant' attitude.

Our situation at the beach house, my family's cherished home, was beyond frustrating. I couldn't decide if I was trapped in a melodramatic Filipino movie or if it was simply my family's unwavering acceptance of Scott's presence. They seemed genuinely pleased to have him around, eagerly included him in tasks around the house, and enjoyed his company on long walks along the beach, leaving me to silently endure his constant presence.

One evening, decided to separate myself from the group and immerse myself in my own thoughts, taking a solitary walk along the beach. Meanwhile, the rest of them were joyously inebriated, engaging in a lively round of karaoke with Scott.

As I strolled along the shore, lost in my own world, I was startled when my father appeared beside me, noticing my somber demeanor. "My oldest child looks sad," Papsi remarked, gently tapping my shoulder.

Feeling a twinge of bitterness, I replied, "I guess I'm not your 'oldest child' anymore, Paps. You've traded me for Scott."

Papsi chuckled and teased, "Oh, you're really overacting. I don't know why you've never become an actor in Hollywood. Acting suits you well, sweetheart."

Frustrated by his lighthearted banter, I snapped, "You guys are really annoying!"

My father, sensing the weight of my emotions, gently encouraged me to open up and share what was troubling me. He assured me that he was there to listen and provide support, urging me to confide in him. His words echoed a heartfelt desire to connect with me and offer comfort during a difficult time.

"Danni, it's just a joke. Are you going to let this sadness consume you forever because of what happened? People make mistakes, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. The choice is yours—if you don't learn and give yourself a chance, you'll be stuck in the same place. Overcome your fears, your doubts, anything that's holding you back from loving someone you don't want to lose. Scott is here for you. He's made that clear, and so are Roy, Tony, and I. Your mom as well, especially when he messes up. Try not to hold on too tightly. You're clinging to the past too much."

I've always valued the guidance of my parents, as I want to ensure that I don't become emotionally hardened in the long run. It was evident to me that this was the perfect moment to confront my anxieties and uncertainties, particularly Scott. After a while, I suggested to Scott that we take a stroll around town, introducing him to the spots I frequented as a child.