Chapter Twenty-eight

My boss visited me at home a week later to go over some details at work, particularly regarding Scott's job offers. I expressed my concerns about the situation. "I'm feeling really uncertain about everything that's going on," I told him.

He looked at me and said, "There are three promising projects lined up for you and Scott to work on together. You just need to give the green light to proceed. What are your thoughts?"

I hesitated, "I'm not sure yet, boss. It's too soon for me to make a decision, and Scott isn't here to discuss his own thoughts."

He frowned, "What could be more important than this, Danni? Time is ticking! If you don't commit now, we might lose these opportunities. It would be such a shame to let them slip away."

Taking a deep breath, I replied, "I'll have a conversation with Scott, and then I'll get back to you, boss."

When Scott arrived home that night, he seemed preoccupied with something else that I didn't want to bother him with my work conversation with my boss. I didn't really talk to Scott about what my boss and I discussed earlier, sensing that he may have something in his mind other than attending to Luke. He's still not in the mindset for film work, I guess, and honestly, neither am I. He's still getting used to being a father to our son, and seeing him happily holding our son all day makes me blush with happiness, too, and I don't want to get in the way of their bonding.

The next day, while Scott strolled with Luke in the morning sun right in the garden, I noticed his phone buzzing incessantly. Curious, I peered at the screen and saw an unknown number calling. Without thinking, I answered it, only to be greeted by a familiar voice on the other end of the line.

"Hi, Scott... good morning. I really thought you wouldn't answer my calls. I'm so sorry, please forgive me. I wasn't thinking clearly that time last night," a woman's voice came through the line.

"Forgive you, for what?" I asked, trying to make sense of the situation.

"Danni? Um... I'm sorry, I didn't know you were the one to answer. I just wanted to apologize to Scott for what happened last night," the woman whose name I'd called Georgia said hesitantly.

"Last night? What happened last night?" I questioned, my confusion growing.

Before Scott and I even rekindled our relationship in the Philippines, Georgia was his brief romantic involvement after we were seeing each other secretly. However, after the controversy surrounding the book and movie drama, Scott and I just went our separate ways, and he and Georgia became a couple. I only learned about their relationship when Scott and I crossed paths at the farm. When Scott and I got back together, he shared that he and Georgia had separated out of mutual understanding.

But learning that they were together just last night has left me feeling bewildered and questioning Scott's actions. I am not even sure I want to hear his explanation, though. I had been patiently letting him do what he wanted to do in life because I knew he needed it as he was doing all the things for Luke and I, but this is much different.

"Scott, I think I can handle Luke from now on."

"Is there something wrong? We were having a good time here under the sun." He argued, his brows furrowed.

"No! I said give me my son. Give him to me!" I exclaimed, feeling irritated in his insistence.

"Danni? What's wrong with you? It's early in the morning, and you seem so upset already. Is everything okay?"

"I don't know, okay? I don't know."

I took Luke in Scott's arms and retreated to our bedroom, I held him close, seeking reassurance from his innocent presence. Despite my attempts to rationalize my feelings, a sense of unease lingered within me. I grappled with conflicting emotions, torn between the pangs of jealousy and the persistent doubts gnawing at me-the fear that Scott might be hiding something from me once again.

Although Scott had once reassured me of his love and support, I found myself faltering in my strength, questioning the very essence of our relationship. The confusion and uncertainty surrounding Scott's actions left me bewildered, prompting a growing sense of unease about the truth of our circumstances.

During that afternoon, while Luke was peacefully napping in his nursery, Scott and I finally had a chance to sit down and talk about what had happened earlier. I was seething with frustration, feeling like I'd been betrayed and hurt, and I couldn't wait to confront him about everything that had been bothering me. "I don't know what happened out there in the garden earlier. I would have thought you should already know what's going on," I snapped, unable to contain my anger.

"Danni, I really don't understand what's bothering you. Can you please help me understand?" Scott responded, looking genuinely confused and concerned.

"Have you checked your phone yet? Who's been calling and texting you? This isn't some joke, Scott," I fired back, feeling a surge of emotion overwhelming me.

"Are you talking about Georgia? I saw that she called a bunch of times, but I didn't answer any of her calls, Danni. You can look at my phone, I swear I didn't reply to her messages either. It's over between me and her," Scott explained, his tone pleading for me to believe him.

"And what about last night? Where did you really go?" I demanded, my frustration boiling over as I needed answers for the turmoil that had been gnawing at me.