Chapter Thirty-one

I had a conversation with my boss and mustered up the courage to present my completed manuscript and resignation letter. "Once I get this book published, I'll be stepping down from my job, boss," I declared.

"Resign? What do you mean, Danni? You can't just resign, not when Scott and you are now separated. This is going to cause more problems," my boss objected.

"I've been planning this for a long time. This isn't about me and Scott. This is about me and my career," I explained.

"That's exactly why! After we release this book, you're still going to be working with me. In fact, we can start working on another screenplay. I've been reminding you of that, haven't I? You can't just walk away from something you love, Danni. You need to consider Luke too, because your child won't stay a child forever," he insisted.

I tried to clarify, "I understand, and I appreciate the opportunities you've given me. But I really need to focus on being a mother and take a step back from my job's role."

He nodded thoughtfully and then responded, "I understand that you're passionate about writing and now being a mother, and I will respect that. But leaving your position here is a big decision, one that will certainly have implications for your future. Have you thought about what you'll do after you resign? What about your financial stability and the career you've built here?"

I took a deep breath, knowing that these were valid concerns. "I have saved up some money, and I'm planning to freelance and take on writing gigs. I know it's risky, but I still have to follow my passion."

He looked at me with a mix of concern and understanding. "Danni, I don't want you to make any hasty decisions. You're a valuable member of the team, and I believe we can work something out. I understand your concerns being a mother now, and I want to support that. But let's take some time to think this through. Maybe we can find a way for you to pursue your writing and motherhood without completely stepping away from your role here."

I appreciated my boss's understanding, but I knew that I needed to take this leap of faith. "I appreciate your concern, but I really need to do this for myself. I hope you understand."

He sighed and said, "I do understand, Danni. Just promise me you'll think this through carefully and make sure this is the right decision for you and Luke. I want the best for both of you, and I don't want you to regret this later."

"I'll definitely think about it, boss. Thank you for understanding," I assured him.

As I left his office, I couldn't shake the feeling of uncertainty and pressure. I knew I had to stay true to myself and pursue my writing dreams outside the box, but at the same time, I was worried about the impact of my decision on my career and Luke's future. It was a difficult balance to strike, but I knew I needed to take the time to figure it out.

I was puzzled by my boss's concerns and felt overwhelmed, not even having the time to explore the possibilities of continuing my job and working on the screenplay. However, I had a chance encounter with one of my longtime idols in the movie industry, Mr. Trevor. While visiting friends at the company where they were shooting an upcoming TV sitcom, I and Alice were invited by Mr. Trevor to join him during their break time, providing an unexpected opportunity for engaging conversation.

This serendipitous meeting with the seasoned actor felt like a turning point, igniting my enthusiasm and sparking new ideas for my career and screenplay endeavors. Mr. Trevor graciously invited us to take a seat and catch up. As we settled in, he directed his attention to me, inquiring, "So, what brings you here? Anything new with your work, Miss Daniella Dee?"

I shrugged nonchalantly. "Not much, sir, just on the lookout for someone here. We've got a contact who might be able to help us out with our future screenplay, Mr. Trevor. Thank you for the coffee, by the way."

"Looking for someone? If I'm not mistaken, you've already penned a few screenplays, some of which have found their way into my hands. I've been waiting for someone to pitch me one of your works," Mr. Trevor revealed with a knowing smile.

I could feel my cheeks flush with embarrassment as I chuckled, "Oh, Mr. Trevor, it's too kind of you. You're everyone's idol, including mine. But to think you're waiting on my screenplays?"

He chuckled, then turned to me with a sincere expression. "I've seen your work, particularly the latest film you produced with your boyfriend, isn't it? It was a truly remarkable movie, Danni."

"Thank you, Mr. Trevor. I thought you had retired. I'm glad to see you're still around, especially if there's a chance, as you mentioned," I replied with genuine warmth.

Our conversation drifted from casual banter to discussing potential collaborations, leaving me feeling inspired and motivated. The exchange filled me with renewed excitement and confidence as we continued to exchange ideas and thoughts on the creative process.

Mr. Trevor kindly provided me with his phone number, anticipating that I might have a screenplay to share with him in the near future. I was thrilled by his gesture, especially after having a great day. But upon arriving home, I discovered that Scott was at the house, visiting Luke and engrossed in play in the living room. This unexpected sight created a mix of emotions within me, especially considering the events that had just transpired.