Chapter Thirty-seven

The following morning, as we awoke to the sounds of Luke crying in the nearby room, Scott and I couldn't help but exchange knowing smiles. We understood that the events of the previous night had the potential to alter the course of our future.

It gave us pause to reflect on the implications of what had transpired. I found myself contemplating if this unexpected intimacy was merely a fleeting encounter or if it held the promise of something more profound. Despite our current circumstances, the allure of being with Scott, whom I had always found attractive, even now that he's a father, had intrigued me for a while.

I allowed myself to entertain the idea of us baring our souls to each other in moments of vulnerability, a prospect that both excited and terrified me. In all honesty, the thought of this new dynamic between us sparked a mixture of emotions, ranging from apprehension to anticipation. But then again, maybe it was all just a whimsical fantasy that I wasn't quite ready to grasp. Or was I? The uncertainty of our situation left me grappling with conflicting desires and questioning the path ahead. Amidst these musings, a hint of humor crept in as I playfully entertained the notion that maybe, just maybe, I secretly longed for the unexpected twist that fate had thrown our way.

While I was at work, our last hurdle was finding a replacement for the lead role that had become vacant as we were planning to travel for our film shoot in a different location. Scott graciously agreed to look after Luke for an extra week while I focused on my work, with David's assistance on set. Just before departing Los Angeles for Rutherford to begin filming, I made a quick stop at Scott's house to check on Luke once more. To my surprise, I found both Luke and Scott dressed up, ready to go somewhere unknown. I approached them, and Luke greeted me with a bright smile as soon as he saw me. It was a heartwarming moment amidst the chaos of our busy schedules.

"Off somewhere today? You both look quite dressed up," I remarked.

"We were thinking of joining you. Getting a bit antsy at home, you know," Scott quipped.

"Care to keep me company? It's a six-hour drive. It might get a bit boring," I teased.

"Not when we're with you. Game for it?" Scott grinned.

"Have you double-checked if Luke has everything he needs? I don't want to forget any essentials," I exclaimed.

"All set. How about you? Ready to roll?" he asked, securing Luke in the backseat of my car.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

Fixing myself in the driver's seat, I found myself a mix of nerves and excitement as we set off on our journey to Rutherford with Scott and Luke in tow. Throughout the drive, our time was filled with impromptu sing-along sessions to keep young Luke entertained, sometimes punctuated by Scott's off-key attempts at joining in, much to the amusement of his eager son.

We made a few pit stops at enchanting locations that were new to me yet felt strangely familiar, almost like being transported back to my roots. Along the way to our destination, we meandered through some breathtaking beaches.

There's this certain joy in just driving, no matter how distant the destination, and appreciating every scenic vista that unfolds along the journey, unconcerned with time passing by.

A moment of tranquility enveloped me as we paused at a renowned beach in Santa Barbara, where I inhaled the invigorating ocean breeze. I seized the opportunity to snap photos of our little companion, leaving his adorable footprints in the soft sand. Watching the tender father-son interaction between Scott and Luke through the lens of my camera filled me with a profound sense of nostalgia, reminding me of the warmth and comfort of home that I had been missing.

"Scott, let's hit the road. We might catch some good afternoon light on the way," I suggested as we prepared to leave the beach.

"Come on, Danni. We're in Santa Barbara! It's not even noon yet. Let's take a stroll first. I know some great spots we can take Luke to," Scott suggested excitedly.

"Let's grab some food first, okay? Luke seems hungry now; look at him!" I exclaimed, noticing Luke's growing impatience.

"Feeling hungry, buddy? Alright, let's go. He's so hungry he's trying to snack on my eyeglasses already," Scott joked, prompting laughter from all of us.

"I'll keep an eye on him. Can you take the wheel for now?" I asked Scott as we settled into the car.

"With pleasure," Scott replied, taking the driver's seat as we set off on our next adventure.

We continued our journey along Santa Barbara and stumbled upon a fantastic restaurant recommended by Scott himself. A restaurant known for its delicious meals suitable for both adults and children.

As Luke and I settled at our table, Luke's mischievous antics in his stroller prompted me to pick him up and just explore the restaurant a bit while Scott placed our food order. To my surprise, he returned promptly with our order, appreciating that he still remembers my all-time favorite dish. It was a heartwarming moment as the three of us enjoyed a meal together, almost in tears with Scott's thoughtful gesture and the joy of being in good company.