Chapter Sixteen

My heart raced at her hesitation. "What? What is it?" I implored, barely able to contain my excitement.

"It's positive, girl. You're pregnant! Oh my gosh!" Alice burst out, her eyes widening in disbelief as the reality of her words sank in.

As Alice and I sat together in the living room, confirming my suspicions, I was then hit by a thought I never expected: "I'm going to have a child?" Holding the pregnancy test kit in my hand, I couldn't deny the reality of it. "I'm pregnant," I whispered, the words feeling foreign as they left my lips.

"A child," Alice repeated, her eyes widening in surprise.

"Yeah," I nodded, the weight of the situation starting to sink in. "And the only person who needs to know right now is Scott. But he's still not back, and I'm not sure if I should tell him."

The next day, Alice and I made a quick stop at the hospital before heading to work. As we sat in the doctor's office, anxiously waiting for the news, I couldn't shake the feeling of uncertainty. Finally, the obstetrician-gynecologist entered the room, breaking the tension.

"Miss Dee, you're two and a half weeks pregnant," the doctor informed me, her voice reassuring. "The baby's condition is okay. You don't have to worry too much. Just take the vitamins I prescribed for you and try not to get too tired. Being pregnant at thirty-four years old is not as easy as it used to be."

"Thank you, Doctor," I responded, trying to absorb the reality of the situation.

"Okay, you can go home now. We'll just schedule your next check-up soon," the doctor said before we left the room, leaving me to grapple with the unexpected journey ahead.

I'm two weeks pregnant? It's hard to believe that this is happening. I can't stop thinking about how Scott would react if he found out about the pregnancy. I definitely don't want the media to find out, especially since they seem to know our every move. This is why I've always let Scott have his freedom, to protect us from anyone who could try to harm our relationship. However, I never expected to find myself in a situation where I might destroy his trust by keeping such a significant secret from him.

It's been an intense month. With the media and the pregnancy going on, David and I finally completed the screenplay we've been working on. Our boss gave it the green light, and he's already reaching out to his contacts to pitch our project, which includes Scott.

It was a thrilling moment—Scott was right there by my side, holding my hand as we sat with the directors and producers who would help bring our film to life.

"After months of hard work, we finally have the script for our next film," announced my boss as he entered the conference room and handed out copies of the manuscript. "I hope you all like it."

"Mitchell, this script is phenomenal. It elevates the genre of car racing films by adding depth and purpose. It's going to bring that same adrenaline rush that top-notch cinematic experiences do," said one of the producers, expressing his enthusiasm.

Turning to Scott, his manager asked, "What do you think, Scott? Do you see this as your breakthrough role in the industry? How do you envision bringing this script to life?"

"Without a doubt, I have complete faith in the storyline. Danni has poured her heart and soul into this script, and it's my responsibility to ensure that the film does it justice," Scott replied, showing his determination to deliver a stellar performance.

His voice trembled as he spoke with the people who promised to support our upcoming film. His nerves were palpable, never changing until we finally reached home. As I watched him, an unsettling thought crossed my mind: What if I confessed the pregnancy to him?

"Babe, you've been acting strange lately. I've noticed that you're not okay. Tell me, what's bothering you?" Scott inquired, still riding high on the happiness from earlier.
"Um, Scott, I wanted to ask you something..." I hesitated.

"Hmm... yes? Anything... you can ask me anything." Scott smiled, engrossed in re-reading the script on the couch.
"How do you see yourself two or five years from now?" I asked, trying to keep my tone casual.

"Why did you ask that?" Scott looked up, curiosity sparking in his eyes.

"Oh, nothing. Since we are starting to work together, and we're doing great in our relationship, do you see yourself continuing to be an actor until you grow old?" I probed, testing the waters.

Scott positioned himself to make eye contact with me, setting the script aside on the coffee table. "Uh, well... maybe not. I'm different from Dad, who dedicated his life to creating stellar films and making a mark in the industry. I'm fine with whatever comes my way, whether it's working on films or starting a family. It'll happen when the time is right."

"But what if the time is now? What if one day I tell you that you're going to be a father?" I exclaimed, feeling a sense of unease over my head.