Chapter Twenty

Jessy's expression revealed a mix of concern and reservation, and I could feel Scott's grip on my hand tighten. This was the moment I had feared. The tension in the room seemed palpable as we all tried to anticipate the course the conversation would take.

She continued to wear a pensive expression that echoed my own mix of concern and reservation towards her husband, while Scott exuded a quiet determination as she addressed the situation. "Clark, what are you doing? Please consider apologizing to Danni and to your son. Our son is old enough to make their own choices in life. At the very least, be mindful of the impact your words are having."

However, Scott had a different perspective. "No, Mom. I don't think Dad will ever understand. It's better for Danni and me to just leave. Danni, let's go."

In this moment, I found myself grappling with the complexity of human emotions and interactions. It puzzled me why some people act in ways that cause harm to others without considering the feelings of those they impact. Is it truly so challenging for individuals to embrace the happiness of others, particularly when they are also meant to be a part of that happiness?

I question the significance placed on Scott's and my decision to pursue our relationship despite facing opposition. Was it wrong for us to love each other and choose bravery in the face of disapproval? And what about the fact that I love someone who I know surpasses me in greatness?

As I contemplate these matters, I can't help but seek understanding and clarity in the intricacies of human behavior and emotion.

What could inspire them to believe that there's potential for success even in the most challenging circumstances? A person's social or economic status shouldn't be a barrier to finding genuine love. I don't want to let Scott see how much our situation affects me, especially considering his own happiness. In fact, why should I feel down when great things are happening for us? He's making significant progress with his upcoming film, and we're expecting a baby. But at times, it's difficult to keep everything bottled up, even though he's attentive.

"Babe, you can talk to me about what's been on your mind. You seem distant lately." I exclaimed, noticing Scott's silence as we were about to go to sleep.

"It's nothing. Just preoccupied with the film; it's almost finished. And then there's Dad," he stated nonchalantly.

"I understand how you must be feeling. Despite our efforts, he doesn't seem to support the relationship we have, does he? Do you think the film we are collaborating on can ever live up to his expectations for us?"

"I'm not so sure. I'm familiar with Dad's strong opinions, and when he's against something, he's really against it. But I believe that eventually he'll come to see and appreciate the depth of our connection."

Two months later, in reflecting on the recent events involving Scott and myself, I contemplated the thought of hosting an intimate gathering to reveal the gender of our baby, considering that my pregnancy had already reached its five-month mark. Following our recent visit to the doctor, we made a deliberate decision to keep the gender of our baby a secret, even from ourselves. We invited all our dearest friends, as well as our close-knit family, to join us at the event at home, including our colleagues from the ongoing film project that we are currently working on. To our delight, the final guests to arrive were Scott's parents, accompanied by his younger sister, who arrived bearing thoughtful gifts that Scott and I warmly received.

"Hello, Mom, Dad, and Cathy. Thank you so much for being here," Scott expressed warmly as he embraced them.

"We're thrilled about the gender reveal, Scott. And hello, Danni. It's a pleasure to meet you. You're positively radiant with your pregnancy," his sister added with a warm smile.

As we all gathered for the highly anticipated gender reveal, Scott's excitement was evident as he took center stage, eager to bring everything together. As I gazed at him, a surge of emotion washed over me, and I felt a profound sense of pride and gratitude. He was the driving force behind making this party a reality. While I may have initiated the plan, I found myself simply stepping back and marveling at Scott's tireless efforts and his unwavering commitment to ensuring that everything came together seamlessly.

"Everyone, I cannot express how thrilled I am about this moment. Before we proceed with the gender reveal, I want to take a moment to acknowledge and thank my family, Danni's family, and all of you who have been steadfast supporters from the very beginning. Danni and I... we never anticipated that we would come this far. Given the challenges posed by our public personas and demanding careers, it seemed unlikely. Yet, here we stand before you, defying the odds. I am immensely grateful for the journey that has brought us here. So, without further delay, let's unveil the big reveal."

We were all deeply moved by his heartfelt words, and I am grateful for him. I have encountered only one person who believed in me without reservation, even when I struggled with doubt. His mere presence exudes a sense of peace and love that I have longed for, and as we move forward into the next phase of our lives, I believe he's the one I've been waiting for. Despite the world seemingly slowing down as I gazed at him, the surrounding cheers filled the air as he prepared to burst the large balloon. Suddenly, without warning, the balloon burst, showering us with a cascade of blue confetti.

"It's a boy, yeah!" Scott exclaimed, his voice echoing in all of us.