Chapter Thirty-eight

Scott, noticing Luke's antics, offered, "Let me carry Luke for you. This boy seems to be throwing tantrums."

I nodded in agreement, replying, "Yeah, he's not used to long trips, maybe, so he's getting his naughtiness to get the better of him, right buddy? It's like your first time, but no."

As we continued to savor our early lunch, Scott chuckled and remarked, "This is our first time... as a family, Danni. Remember when we used to travel so much? It's still like this, but now we have a naughty kid with us. You're being naughty, buddy, huh? It's quite annoying. What do you say, huh?"

I smiled at his observation and added, "He's going to get grumpy if he hasn't eaten anything yet, Papa."

Realizing his oversight, Scott apologized, saying, "Oh, sorry. My bad. Here you go, little guy. Eat your favorite broccoli."

Luke eagerly took the broccoli from Scott's hand and laughed happily, breaking the tension with his infectious joy.

After a satisfying and nourishing lunch courtesy of Scott, we set off to explore various attractions in Santa Barbara, eventually making our way to a zoo. This turned out to be a delightful surprise for Luke, who harbored a keen interest in animals. Having only seen them on television screens before, the opportunity to observe them up close was a thrilling experience for him. As we wandered through the zoo, blending in with the rest of the visitors, we found ourselves faced with an unavoidable situation—the moment when admirers recognized us and requested photos.

In this moment, I discreetly communicated with Scott, ensuring that Luke’s privacy was respected by either shielding his face or diverting attention whenever someone approached us for pictures. I was determined to shield my son from the unwelcome attention and scrutiny that often accompanied our public visibility. While Scott and I had grown accustomed to the public eye and the accompanying criticisms from the media and paparazzi, Luke, being young and innocent, deserved to be shielded from any unnecessary spotlight or disparaging remarks about his parentage. It was essential to safeguard his innocence and allow him to enjoy simple pleasures without the burden of our public personas overshadowing his experiences.

It was fortunate that the people surrounding us were empathetic and understanding of our circumstances. They allowed us the freedom to roam the zoo at our own pace before continuing our journey.

As we continued on our trip, Luke drifted off to sleep in the backseat, giving me the opportunity to hand over the wheel to Scott for a while. With nothing but the open road ahead and the soft hum of the engine, we delved into heartfelt conversations and shared memories. After revisiting the past struggles and challenging moments we had endured, it felt like a cathartic release to be able to talk openly and honestly with each other again.

Acknowledging the hurtful words that had passed between us, we found solace in the shared commitment we had towards our son, Luke. Despite the difficulties we faced, we both knew that prioritizing Luke's well-being and happiness were paramount. As parents, we made a silent promise to one another to always put his needs above our own, understanding that being present for him and witnessing his milestones along this journey of childhood was the greatest gift we could give him.

Two hours later, our journey led us to the quaint town of Rutherford, where the rolling hills were adorned with lush vineyards as far as the eye could see. As we pulled up to our destination, the scenery captivated us through the window of the car, showcasing the natural beauty that defined the area. With a sense of ease, we made our way to the designated meeting spot at a charming hotel, where the key players of my upcoming film awaited us. Fortunately, my dear friends David and Alice had also arrived, their eyes bright with curiosity as they spotted Scott and me approaching.

"Hello, lovebirds, and my little godson, Luke," Alice greeted us warmly, cradling our young one in her arms.

"Ah, no need to get ahead of yourself, Alice. I'm not sure any lovebirds are in sight here. Have Mr. Trevor and the rest of the cast and crew arrived yet?" I inquired, a hint of anticipation in my voice.

"They'll be joining us shortly. For now, why don't you two check in? Alice and I will take care of Luke," David offered kindly.

"Thank you, David."

From that moment on, our collaboration was filled with a mix of excitement and anticipation as we prepared for what would bring our shared vision to life on the silver screen.

The upcoming film production is primarily situated in the picturesque Napa Valley, setting the stage for a potentially successful endeavor. Despite the promising backdrop, there is a sense of unease among the team due to a crucial missing character who has yet to be found. We remain hopeful that our efforts will not be in vain and that once this missing piece is in place, everything will fall into smooth alignment, ensuring the success of the project.

Upon our arrival at the hotel and settling into our accommodations, Scott and I made our way back to the bustling lounge area, where the rest of the film crew and participants were gathered. It was a relief to see that almost everyone involved in the project was present, engrossed in their respective tasks and preparations. Among the busy crowd, I was fortunate enough to catch the attention of Mr. Trevor, that even though there are some issues still, have managed to keep himself entertained.