Chapter Eighteen

Entering the doctor's office, we eagerly underwent the procedure to listen to our baby's heartbeat for the first time. The experience was nothing short of overwhelming, a mix of emotions that was entirely new to both of us but undeniably filled us with a profound and incomprehensible sense of excitement.

As Scott gazes at the sonogram of our baby, I can't help but let him bask in the moment, even though I feel the same overwhelming joy and excitement. Our unexpected blessing, our precious gift. 

"It's amazing, isn't it?" I say, watching his expression as he studies the image on the screen.

"I never imagined I'd feel like this. It's like everything else fades away," Scott replies, his eyes glued to the sonogram showing our little one. 

When Scott and I were on the verge of drifting apart, who would have thought that my love for him would lead us to this moment? What if I hadn't fought for our relationship like he did? What if I'd missed out on experiencing all of this with him? It's all thanks to him. It's as if our future has now been woven together, and with our growing connection, it feels right to realign my priorities in life.

"Hey, how are you feeling, babe?" I ask as we settle in the car after leaving the doctor's office.

"I can't even put it into words. Is this what it means to be a father, I suppose? It's like I'm shifting into this whole new level of responsibility. I can't just think about myself anymore; it's about you and the baby now," Scott responds, his voice filled with a mix of awe and a touch of apprehension.

"It's a big change, but we'll navigate through it together," I reassure him, reaching for his hand as I speak.

Suddenly, a sense of profound gratitude washes over me. I'm grateful for where we are now, grateful for the love that has guided us back to each other, and grateful for the future that's unfolding before us.

"I'm serious, babe. This is a significant moment for us, and I can't just sit back while you're going through the pregnancy. I want to take an active role, too."
"Sure, of course," I replied.

Before I could even raise any objections about his enthusiasm to assist me during the pregnancy, I witnessed firsthand the effort he was putting in to ensure everything was taken care of. Scott had purchased parenting and baby books and was dedicated to reading them every night after our long days at work. He took charge of preparing meals for me while making sure the food was suitable for the baby. Sometimes, we would take leisurely walks, seemingly unconcerned about the paparazzi milling around.

As the film shoot for Scott's upcoming movie begins, the production team was buzzing with preparations to ensure the first month of filming would be a success.

The signs of stress, though, were slowly etching themselves onto my face, the persistent aroma of food, and the waves of pregnancy sickness making each day a little harder. Even David seemed oblivious to it all since he wasn't yet aware of the news.
"David, there's something I need to talk to you about," I said tentatively.

"Yeah, I already know. Alice spilled the beans about the pregnancy," he replied, his tone laced with sarcastic disappointment.
"Are you upset?" I inquired, searching his expression for any sign of emotion.

"Why would I be? I'm just your best friend. You even chose to tell Alice before you came to me now," he said, a hint of hurt in his voice.

"I'm sorry, okay? I truly am. Can you forgive me?" I pleaded, hoping to ease the tension between us.

"Fine. Just because I know now why you're always being a dragon around here, by the way," he retorted, a touch of bitterness in his voice.

"Hey, come on," I said, reaching out to him.
"Just kidding," he said with a slight smirk, melting away the tension between us.

I find myself standing in front of the mirror more frequently now, each time acknowledging the subtle yet undeniable changes in my body as my pregnancy progresses. It's only a matter of time before my condition becomes evident to everyone, but despite this, my commitment to ensuring everything runs smoothly with the film remains unwavering, particularly for Scott's sake.

However, there are moments when I find myself at home, lost in contemplation, my mind consumed with the magnitude of all that is happening. The temporary pause in the filming provided a valuable opportunity for Scott and me to focus on preparations for the arrival of our baby. While he diligently immerses himself in parenting books, buying the things for the nursery, the baby's needs and all, he expressed a belief that seeking guidance from an expert in the field of parenting would be beneficial for us in a way.

"Why don't we go and seek advice from someone experienced in this area? I know the perfect person who can provide us some pointers," Scott suggested.
"Who is it?" I inquired.

"You'll have the chance to meet her when we pay a visit," Scott proposed.

During our journey, I had this nagging feeling that Scott was keeping something from me. "Are we there yet? I'm starting to feel sick from this never-ending drive," I moaned, desperate to discover our destination. Scott just sat there, gazing at me with a gentle smirk, never letting go of my hand. And then there was my three-month-old baby bump, impossible to conceal any longer.