Chapter Thirty-five

The tension in the room was noticeable as the filming process was all set up, but with the actor named "Noah" and his unexpected absence, the entire production team found themselves at a loss for how to proceed.

"Who's going to step in for Noah? Any suggestions?" David's voice cut through the uneasy silence, breaking the tension.

"Sorry, David. I can't think right now. My head is spinning. This is not my problem to solve," I admitted, rubbing my temples in frustration.

"It is your problem, whether you like it or not. Without a replacement for Noah, the film won't go on, and that means no shoots, no income," David pointed out, his frustration evident in his tone and expression.

"David's right. We can't just give up like this. We need to find someone who can fill Noah's shoes," one of the producers added, her voice tinged with concern.

With a deep sigh, I made a decision. "I'll go talk to Mr. Trevor. Just hang tight here, y'all!" I informed them dismissively, mustering what little energy I had left to tackle the challenge ahead.

Due to the irritating behavior displayed by David and the casting crew, I promptly made my way over to Mr. Trevor, and a group of producers engaged in conversation with him. A wave of nervousness washed over me as I approached them, my hands shaking with anxiety at the prospect of addressing the issue at hand. The people I was about to confront were clearly dissatisfied by Noah's unexpected decision to back out at the eleventh hour, intensifying the already tense atmosphere in the room.

It's true that finding a replacement for Noah is technically not within my scope of responsibility. However, as the writer of the screenplay, I have a deep understanding of the characters I have created and the kind of actors who would best bring them to life. Despite this, I find myself hesitant to even consider Scott for the role. Can I truly envision working with him again after everything that has transpired between us? Can I set aside my personal feelings towards him, and can he do the same? Maybe it's best for both of us to part ways, move forward independently, and never make things harder than they already are.

As I approached Mr. Trevor, my voice tinged with apprehension, and I couldn't help but broach the topic that weighed heavily on everybody else's and on my mind. "Mr. Trevor, may I have a moment of your time?" I inquired earnestly, a mix of hope and uncertainty evident in my tone.

"Of course, Danni. What's going on?" he responded, his expression open and attentive as we sat to talk.

"I wanted to discuss Noah's decision to step down from the project. Have we made any progress in finding a suitable replacement for him?" I asked, knowing that time was not on our side with the film production looming just three weeks away.

"We're running out of time, Danni. Finding a new lead actor is no easy task, especially with many young talents tied up in other commitments. Not everyone we approach shares the same level of enthusiasm for the role. Do you have anyone specific in mind who could potentially fill Noah's shoes?" Mr. Trevor inquired, his tone a mix of curiosity and concern.

"Maybe I can reach out to some friends. I know someone who could step in for Noah."

"Why bother asking around, Danni? It will take too long. I don't want to disregard your preferences, but what about Scott? Isn't he available now?"

The thought of seeking help from Scott didn't sit very well with me. There were plenty of other actors who could potentially fill Noah's role, and I was determined to find the perfect fit for the character I had envisioned. I was calling people nonstop, asking for favors from some friends, and waiting for any response. However, time was running out, as Mr. Trevor had given us just two days to secure an actor for his character's son's role in our upcoming film. After I contacted each potential candidate, one by one, they declined. With just one day remaining and no callbacks, it seemed that even the casting crew was facing the same challenge as I was.

I found myself fixated on the problem as I made my way to Scott's house to discuss the potential job offer with him. Upon arriving, I discovered Scott and Luke joyfully sharing a meal together. Scott stopped where he was when he noticed my presence walking towards them.

"Oh, you're here already? Have you had dinner?" Scott inquired, getting up to attend to Luke.

"I'm still full, thank you," I replied.

"Sorry for the mess. This little one just loves to play, don't you, buddy?" Scott remarked, turning to Luke.

"Dada!" Luke happily chimed in.

"Yeah, I know. Mama is here now, so let's get you cleaned up first. Excuse us for a moment, Danni. I'll just tidy him up," Scott explained.

"Sure, take your time. I'll wait here," I replied, observing the father-son interaction with a mix of nostalgia and longing in my heart.

In the midst of the chaos in Scott's kitchen and living room, I amused myself by tidying up the clutter scattered across the floor, table, and chairs. Then, after what took like eternity, Scott remained silent as he witnessed the transformation of his once chaotic kitchen and now pristine living room, understanding my disapproval of his usual messiness. However, my motivation to clean the clutter was not just solely to restore order but also to give me a way to ask him a favor.