Chapter Nine

In the midst of awkwardly attempting to express my feelings for him, we were abruptly interrupted by the wedding coordinator, reminding me of my role as the "wedding singer."

Standing before the assembled guests, and our families, I sat down the piano stool, adjusted myself clutching the microphone, I took a deep breath to steady my nerves before gliding my hands into the piano, serenading my brother and his wife with a rendition of their cherished favorite song.

Striving to maintain a calm, gentle tone and quell my inner tremors, I was acutely aware of Scott's unwavering gaze, fixed upon me from our table. In that poignant moment, a sense of déjà vu washed over me, evoking a familiar cinematic scene or a narrative borne directly from the depths of my heart.
As the lyrics poured forth in melodic waves, they resonated through the air, encapsulating the very essence of my emotions.

Each word entwined with the palpable sentiment that Scott had become my transformative force, uplifting me to unprecedented heights and enveloping me in an intoxicating fervor that reflected in his eyes. It was as if the harmony of the song embodied the symphony of our shared journey, weaving a narrative both familiar and deeply profound, leaving an indelible mark on our hearts.

After I finished my performance, I made my way back to our table, where Scott was waiting. Everyone else was caught up in the festivities, chatting and dancing, but Scott and I were left in an awkward silence. It felt like we were just pretending, not quite sure how to bridge the gap between us. Then, out of the blue, Scott took the initiative and brought up the heartfelt words I had spoken earlier: “So, do you still love me?”

I tried to brush it off, saying, "You must be hearing things. I didn't say anything like that, did I?"

But Scott wasn't about to let it go. "No, I heard you. I just want to hear it again, Danni. Please?"

Feeling a bit frustrated, I relented, "Alright, fine. I love you, Scott. I still love you."

A smile lit up Scott's face, and he said, "You have no idea how much you've made me happy. I thought this day was going to be a downer, but then I realized I couldn't just give up."

As I looked into his eyes, I felt a warmth spreading through me. It was as if a weight had been lifted, and I knew that my feelings for Scott were as strong as ever.

"Wow, that was unexpected," I mused quietly to myself. How unlikely that on Valentine's Day, I'd find myself pouring out my true emotions to Scott, words slipping out without warning. Just as everything seemed to teeter on the edge of uncertainty, suddenly everything changed, and now Scott and I are a couple. In a relationship, unlike what we had before. Though the first time was a core memory to me, this felt just so different. It's like we're going to be just fine.

The night had barely begun when Scott invited me to dance to a beautiful melody, evoking memories of times gone by. I had always assumed I’d never get the chance to dance with him, with anyone, for that matter, on Valentine's Day. In my experience, nobody ever expressed any interest in dancing with me. In my teenage years, I ventured on to finding someone to dance with at the disco, and yes, it was but a teenage fantasy, but this, with Scott, is the dream. A dream that my heart had been waiting for with bated breath. This unexpected turn of events has unveiled a blissful reality that I never thought was possible.

I had never fully grasped the extent of relief that embracing my vulnerability offered until now. It required facing my fears and doubts and untangling the enigma of my haunting past. Thankfully, Scott was there every step of the way, providing unwavering support, lifting my spirits, and restoring my faith in a brighter future.

And so it goes, my vacation in the Philippines drew to a close, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude towards my parents. Their tireless guidance, infinite patience, and profound wisdom had been the cornerstone of my tumultuous journey with Scott, and I knew that their influence would forever shape my perspective.

"So, see you another five years, Mamsi, Papsi. I will miss you all here," I stated, embracing them tightly as I felt the weight of our impending separation.

"We will always visit you every once in a while, Danni. You know we also have to visit your 'other' brother," my father assured me, trying to lighten the mood.

"I know, Paps," I replied, trying to hold back tears at the thought of being away from them for an extended period.

"And um, Scott? Take care of this child of ours, ah? There's not going to be a third chance in life if you keep slopping around. It's infuriating when that happens. Take care," my father cautioned, turning to 'my boyfriend' with a mix of concern and affection.

"I'll keep that in mind, Sir. Thank you," Scott responded earnestly, understanding the weight of my father's words and the responsibility he was being entrusted with.

Our return to the US was a joyful contrast to our initial arrival in the Philippines, where we often clashed over our differing opinions. I now realize that taking a leap of faith, not just with Scott but with the world and myself, was necessary, as our beautiful story is far from over.

He went with me back to the farm in Austin, and in those moments, our focus was solely on each other. The sight of him before me and the fact that we were on good terms felt surreal. I couldn't peel my eyes away from him, fearful that it might all be a dream. However, when he leaned in to kiss me, it solidified the wonderful truth that Scott was truly mine.