Chapter Twenty-six

Moments later, the doctor and some nurses burst into the room, their eyes filled with determination and reassurance as they prepared me for delivery. "Okay, Danni, let's get you positioned to see if the baby is ready to come out," the doctor said calmly, her soothing voice cutting through the tension in the room. "Just relax your legs and push a little when I say you're going to push, okay?"

My heart raced as I nodded weakly, fear gripping me in its suffocating embrace. "Ahh, I can't. I'm scared," I confessed, my voice quivering with anxiety.

"Hey, you've got this," Scott encouraged, his grip on my hand tightening. "You're doing amazing."

The doctor leaned in closer, her eyes locking with mine. "No, don't be scared. You just need to breathe in and breathe out and... push! One, two, three... push, Danni," she coached, her voice steady and unwavering.

With Scott's reassuring presence and the doctor's guidance, I summoned every ounce of strength I had. "I'm trying," I gasped, my body tensing with effort.

"Babe, you can do this. Our little boy will be here in a little while," Scott whispered, his words a lifeline in the midst of the intense labor pains.

"Okay, just a little bit more, Danni. You just got to push longer this time, okay? One... two... three... push!" the doctor urged, her voice filled with unwavering confidence. "I can see the baby's head now. Just a little bit more pushing."

Summoning every last bit of reserves, I pushed with all my might, the room filled with a symphony of encouraging voices and the rhythmic beat of my own determined efforts. As the tension mounted and the air crackled with anticipation, I clung to the unwavering support of Scott, drawing strength from his belief in me. And in that pivotal moment, as I gave it my all, a palpable sense of hope and joy filled the air, heralding the imminent arrival of our precious little one.

I felt the baby finally emerge; his cries were now all over the room, and he was carried by the doctor. Scott's eyes were brimming with tears, and he held my hand tightly, planting a gentle kiss on my forehead. "You've done amazing, babe," he said, his voice filled with emotion.

Luke was placed on my chest. I heard his first cry, the touch of his skin to mine, and a rush of overwhelming love enveloped me. "Our little cowboy," I whispered, my voice trembling with emotion.

The doctor smiled warmly as she said, "It's a healthy baby boy! Congratulations to you, Danni and Scott."

Scott's face lit up as he gazed at our newborn. "You did it. Look at our little cowboy! He's so adorable!" he exclaimed, his voice filled with pride and joy.

"He looks just like you, Scott. You're finally a dad," I said, tears of happiness streaming down my cheeks.

"Thanks to you. You did a great job," Scott replied, his voice filled with gratitude and love.

After some time, Scott had the privilege of delicately severing the umbilical cord that connected me and our newborn. It was an emotional moment for him, witnessing everything that had unfolded before and after the labor. After a few hours, I lay in the hospital bed, feeling drained, while our baby was momentarily taken by the nurse for his newborn screening. Despite my exhaustion, I couldn't help but notice the contentment on Scott's face as he sat there, eagerly waiting for our son's return.

"You should be resting. You've just given birth, and you must be exhausted," Scott observed, noticing me gazing at him.

"I can't sleep when I see you so happy. I'm okay. How about you? You should take a break. Our parents are on their way soon," I replied, concerned about his wellbeing.

"I'll stay until I know everything is sorted for us today. Don't worry about me. Focus on getting some rest. You've been through so much today, and you deserve to relax," Scott reassured me, his eyes full of tenderness.

"Are you sure you can handle me and Luke on your own?" I inquired with a smile.

"I'm sure. I can, and I will. I love you, my strong Mama," Scott affirmed, reaching out to hold my hand.

"I love you more," I replied, feeling grateful for his unwavering support.

I awoke to find my parents and siblings gathered around, cooing over my newborn son in Scott's arms. I didn't expect them to be there sooner than expected, especially my brothers, and the flood of emotions overwhelmed me. When they noticed I was awake, my father rushed over and enveloped me in a tight hug.

"Oh, I didn't mean to rest for so long," I said tearfully, my voice choked with emotion.

"It's okay, sweetheart. We're just so happy to see you and the baby doing well," Papsi reassured me as my family encircled me, offering their comfort and affection.

"You did amazing, sis. Look at little Luke. He's so adorable," Roy exclaimed, wiping away a tear of his own.

"Thanks, guys. I'm just so overwhelmed right now," I said, feeling the love and warmth of my family around me.

"Come on now, no need for tears. You're the strongest one among us," Tony chimed in, trying to lighten the mood.

"Thanks; I really needed to hear that," I replied, a small smile breaking through my tears.

"We all love you so much," my mother said, squeezing my hand. "And look at Scott. He's still going strong, not even a hint of fatigue in sight."

"I know, Mams, Luke's got his father's good looks," I said, trying to compose myself.