Chapter Eleven

We both knew that we couldn't control the narrative that the media was weaving, but we also knew that it was far from the truth. "I wish we could make them see us differently, but that's not in our hands, Danni. All we can do is prove them wrong, and this time, they'll have to eat their words," Scott declared, frustration evident in his voice.

"Realistically, Scott, they're never going to change their tune. We'll never be able to please them. I guess all we can do is show them how wrong they are. And, I've been thinking, maybe there's a way to change their perspective on us," I suggested.

Scott leaned in, his brows furrowed as he looked at me. "What is that?" he asked, curiosity evident in his voice.

I flashed him a mischievous grin. "I think I'm not going to resign just yet. I want to do something I'm passionate about—writing. And this time, are you willing to be the lead character in my next screenplay?" I inquired, holding his gaze intently.

He chuckled, tilting his head to the side. "Are you proposing to me, Danni?" he teased, a playful glint in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes, laughing. "You wish! But seriously, are you up for it?"

"Of course, it would be my pleasure to be at your service, my love," Scott responded with a grin. "Just tell me what I need to do; I'm all in. I'll talk to my management about your plan, alright? I love you."

"I love you more," I responded with a smile, feeling a rush of thrill and excitement at the prospect of working with the person I loved on a creative project for the first time.

Unwavering in my determination, I summoned the courage to approach my boss and express my desire to tackle the challenges that had arisen between Scott and me. I proposed that creating a compelling film could provide a resolution to our current tumult, safeguarding the reputation I and Scott had painstakingly built individually over the past decade.

The film, I believed, would prevent others from defining my identity in a way that didn't align with my true self and my understanding of Scott. Upon entering my boss's office, I was met with a gaze that conveyed skepticism, as though I were being perceived through a lens of suspicion, on the brink of being interrogated.

Leaning back in his chair, he fixed me with a steady gaze. "What do you want to happen after another scrutiny with Scott, Danni?" he uttered, his tone a mixture of curiosity and concern.

"I want to write a script for Scott's next film," I replied, trying to pitch my idea with confidence despite the lingering doubts both within and around me.

"Okay, but how will you do that, especially when you still have issues looming with the media? You might end up telling a bland story to people and come off as desperate," my boss warned, sounding genuinely worried about the potential consequences of my actions. "You look desperate, Danni."

"Desperate? This is the only way I can prove to them and to Scott's dad that they are wrong about me," I retorted, feeling a surge of frustration at the obstacles in my path.

"Yeah, like a desperate person always does. My advice to you is for you to just calm down. Let them think what they want to think. You know who you are and what you're capable of," he advised, his voice softening slightly as he attempted to offer a measure of reassurance.

"And do you agree with my plan?" I asked, hoping for his support and validation.

"Sure, I'll talk to some of my contacts once you have the manuscript. Just make sure it'll be great, Danni. I don't want to be embarrassed. And include David in that project," he replied, granting me a conditional approval, albeit with a note of caution.

"Thanks, boss," I said sincerely, feeling a rush of gratitude for his willingness to at least entertain the idea.

"All right. Get out of my office before my mind changes," he said with a wry smile at the end of our conversation as he returned his attention to the papers on his desk.

As I left his office, I couldn't help but replay the conversation in my mind. It was a small victory to have gained his tentative support, but the doubts and criticisms still lingered.

I settled into my chair and opened up to David about my ambitious plan. He seemed skeptical at first, but I was determined to earn the respect of those who belittled me, especially from people who didn't really know me and why Scott would risk his career just because he loved a "writer."

"I believe this is the thing I had to do— not to look down on people, but to show that I am deserving of their respect," I explained.

"I understand where you're coming from, but it's a risky move," David cautioned.

"I know, but I truly believe that if we can write a compelling script, it will win them over. It will make them see that Scott and I make a great team," I insisted. "Maybe we can work with the book I wrote about Andrew. It has the potential to be a powerful script," I suggested.

David hesitated. "I don't think that's a great idea. It could bring up issues involving not just you and Scott, but also Andrew and the government," David warned.

"Okay, okay. I'll come up with something new then," I conceded.

David sighed. "The audacity of you to drag me into this, ah?"

"You promised you'd help me, remember? This is on you, too! If you hadn't...," I started, feeling the frustration bubbling up.

"Yeah, I know. You don't have to remind me, bud," David said, trying to diffuse the tension.