Chapter Ten

After attending to my farm animals one afternoon, we found ourselves just outside, gazing at the clouds while tending to a crackling bonfire Scott made. We indulged in our favorite drinks and savored some s'mores, reveling in the simple pleasure of each other's company. It was in these unassuming moments that we found solace and contentment in each other's presence.

He and I engaged in a profound and heartfelt discussion about the intricate dynamics of the world we inhabit, particularly the challenges of maintaining a relationship within the tumultuous landscape of the film industry. We openly acknowledged the impact of the struggles we faced due to the fallout from my written work, but over time, we grew, learned, and found ways to overcome them.

The insights and support from the people in our lives played a pivotal role in helping us navigate the complexities of this demanding journey. Their guidance illuminated the path ahead and provided us with the strength to persevere amidst the trials we encountered.

"We could be just like any other couples that wanted to be in a relationship without being hated, right? I always loved the idea of us being able to walk the streets and go anywhere else publicly doing our own thing that we don't need to be afraid of," I expressed.

"You know, paparazzi and the media can be so annoying at times, Danni. I completely understand what you're saying. The whole idea of just living our lives the way we wanted, and maybe we should. Maybe we shouldn't even have to hide anymore. I mean, why are we hiding when all we were doing is just a normal thing that people do?" Scott contemplated.

"What about your dad? Doesn't he still hate me? I don't want everything to be okay with us but not with your father?" I voiced my concern.

"Don't worry, Danni, he'll come to his senses. He'll also realize that there's nothing he can do. If he's disappointed, that's his opinion," Scott reassured me.

A week passed, and Scott decided to head back to California to deal with the management issues related to the photos he had posted during our trip to the Philippines. It seemed like his father would be even more upset because I was in some of the pictures that had been circulating on social media. Knowing this, I decided to focus on my work, hoping to avoid adding fuel to the fire.

Later that week, after much thinking, I made my way back to California. I was prepared to finally submit my resignation letter to my boss, as I had originally planned. Little did I know that as I was about to leave my house to go to the office, I would find David and Alice waiting for me at my doorstep.

"What's going on? Why are you two here at my house? I told you I was heading to work. What's the matter?" I asked, surprised to see them there.

"Well, have you heard about this?" David inquired.

"Heard about what?" I responded, feeling perplexed by their unexpected visit.

Alice and David showed me a news article with a picture of Scott and me on the front page together. To make matters worse, I was in shock about the whole situation and what they perceived about me. Now, I'm joining the ranks of popularity, but in the worst possible way. It's especially bothersome given that Scott has the name of his father, a renowned veteran actor who hates me.

Alice, holding up her phone, exclaimed. "It looks like you've made it to the big leagues now, Danni. 'A writer trying to make her way into the world of stardom, and guess who's ladder she's climbing...' That's a hole-in-one kind of news, don't you think?"

I let out a frustrated sigh. "It's ridiculous. I don't want any part of this entire spectacle."

David chimed in, "What are you going to do about this, bud? And don't worry, I know it's not entirely your fault, so I'll help you overcome it."

"I didn't realize falling in love would come with all this media attention. Those news articles are so annoying!"

Alice nodded sympathetically. "I can only imagine how overwhelming this must be for you. But hey, we'll figure something out, okay?"

I smiled gratefully at Alice and David. "Thanks, guys. It's just frustrating that my personal life has turned into public gossip again."

As we commiserated over the news mess, I felt supported by my friends and more determined to find a way to shield Scott's and my personal lives from prying eyes.

Later at the office, as we sat down to brainstorm some damage control ideas, Alice suggested, "Why don't we think about using this to your advantage, Danni? We can turn the narrative around and spin it to showcase your work as a writer. Show people that there's more to you than just being 'Scott's girlfriend'."

"That's a great idea, Alice. I never wanted to be in the spotlight like this, but maybe we can use it to shift the focus onto my writing," I said, feeling a glimmer of hope.

David nodded in agreement. "We can reach out to some publications and offer interviews or articles about your future writing projects. It's time to reclaim your own story."

Later that day, Scott visited me at my workplace after he heard the upsetting news that had been circulating, featuring our names. He came straight to me, clearly concerned about how I was dealing with it all.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked, his eyes filled with worry.

I sighed, trying to downplay the impact of the media's damaging portrayal of our relationship. "I'm not thrilled about what they're saying, but I'll manage," I replied, choosing not to acknowledge just how much it was affecting me.