Chapter Thirty-four

The three of us let out a collective nod and a sigh of relief as Mr. Trevor shared his heartfelt feedback on our manuscript. I couldn't express my gratitude enough, as I felt deep in my heart that this might be my last opportunity to write a screenplay or perhaps even a book.

It took me a while to finally accept that this endeavor held a deeper significance, as I had been solely focused on myself, grappling with a multitude of unanswered questions and fearing the possibility of starting from square one. Yet, the unwavering trust in my writing abilities from others brought a sense of peace, allowing me to leave what I loved knowing that I would leave behind a meaningful literary legacy.

I yearned for a respite from the past decade of my life, craving a breath of fresh air. With Luke rapidly growing before my eyes, I feared missing out on the precious moments of his youth. Even as he matures into adulthood, I desire to center my attention on him. Amidst the uncertainties that loomed large in my life, I found solace and unwavering certainty in the presence of my son, pledging to stand by his side every step of the way.

When I arrived at Scott's house to visit Luke on that fateful afternoon following my meeting with Mr. Trevor, a peculiar sensation gripped my chest. It was as if the world around me had fallen into an eerie silence the moment I stepped out of my car. Unbeknownst to me, Luke and Scott were both not at home, leaving me frantically trying to reach Scott via phone to no avail. As the night descended and I found myself still waiting outside his house, a mix of unease and frustration coursed through me, fueled by the unsettling mystery of their absence.

When his car finally arrived home and Scott stepped out of his car, I stormed up to him and delivered a resounding slap across his face. "What do you think you're doing, huh? How dare you take my son somewhere else without even calling me?" I exclaimed, my voice sharp with anger.

"Danni, will you stop? Stop this! It's embarrassing for my neighbors. You don't need to make a scene! We're already here!" Scott tried to reason, rubbing his cheek where my hand had landed.

"Even so! You should have answered your phone; you worried me," I retorted, flashing him with frustration.

"Did I worry you? Didn't you do the same to me when you left California without my knowledge? Now you know how it feels, huh?" Scott shot back, his own emotions bubbling to the surface.

"I had my reasons!" I defended myself.

"Oh, you had your reasons? Why don't you just say that you're just scared? You've been a coward. Or maybe you're just selfish and self-centered, and you think that it's okay that you're the one who carries everything. I am Luke's father, and I have the right to spend time with my son, do things with him, and go wherever I want us to go. Why won't you let me? As if I will put Luke in danger? Do you think I could do that to my own son?" Scott's voice cracked with emotion as he confronted me with his frustration.

Our heated exchange continued, with each word striking a chord deep within us. The air crackled with tension as we aired our grievances, our voices rising and falling with a mix of anger, hurt, and frustration.

Scott's heart ached as he gazed into my eyes, seeing the pain and anger reflected back at him. "I just want what's best for Luke, Danni. I want to be there for him, to help raise him, to be his father," he pleaded, his voice softer now, tinged with desperation.

I held his gaze, my expression softening slightly. "I know you do, Scott. But it's not easy for me either. It's hard to trust and to let go," I admitted, sensing my vulnerability sinking in.

"I understand, Danni. But we need to compromise, for Luke's sake. He deserves to have both of us in his life, to feel loved and supported by both his parents," Scott replied, reaching out to touch my hand gently.

I was not surprised by Scott's words. It was true. He is Luke's father. Who am I to stand in the way of him embracing what he deserved? Yet, a nagging doubt crept into my mind—was I really selfish? Was it selfish of me to contemplate Luke's future and welfare? That was not my nature, as I had no intention of jeopardizing Luke's future like I had done with my own. Reluctantly, I felt the need to entrust Luke into Scott's care for a period of time, as he had pleaded that night. But as a mother, my maternal instincts kept me awake at night, wondering if Scott was taking proper care of our son.

However, to my surprise, Scott took it upon himself to keep me updated by sending pictures and videos, sharing all the details of Luke's day and night activities.

Meanwhile, I was continuously working and have been busy with my latest project, and attended the script reading for Mr. Trevor's film, an unexpected hurdle arose regarding the casting. The actor slated to portray Mr. Trevor's son in the movie faced a sudden issue, throwing a wrench into the entire production process.