Chapter Thirty-six

After the cleaning session, we settled in the living room, allowing Luke to watch some cartoons while he snuggled up to his father's embrace. Their endearing bond always tugged at my heartstrings, occasionally igniting a pang of longing as I reflected on my own distant relationship with my child because of work. As Luke drifted off to sleep in Scott's arms and was gently transferred to his crib, a rare moment of tranquility settled over us, paving the way for a heartfelt conversation between Scott and me.

Summoning the courage to confront my uncertainties and fears, I pushed aside my pride to engage in a candid and sincere dialogue with Scott, laying bare my vulnerabilities and innermost thoughts.

Sitting across from each other on the couch with some beers and late-night snacks, we exchanged glances before he finally started to open up. "Thanks for lending a hand. It's easy for things to get a little messy around here when you're on your own."

"No problem at all. I totally get it. You know?" I smiled.

"About Luke, now that our agreement is up, it's only fair to stick to the two weeks, right?" He questioned.

"Well, actually, my stay got extended due to some work issues. You know how crazy things can get in our jobs."

"Ah, I see. Just let me know how long you plan to stay, and I'll take care of Luke. You focus on your stuff."

"Hmm, on the contrary, I have a proposal for you. If you're interested, that is."

Scott took a leisurely sip of his beer, a smirk playing on his lips as he regarded me with a mischievous glint in his eyes. It was as if he was challenging my patience before finally responding to my inquiry in a sarcastic tone.

"So, a proposition, huh? I never imagined you'd come asking for my help, considering how much you enjoy going solo."

I shrugged in response. "People change, Scott."

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Not you. You've always been the hands-on type, preferring to handle everything on your own, deep in your thoughts, and you've done it quite well."

"I used to be like that. But things have changed. I've grown and learned from my past," I admitted. "I'm trying to change the perception of being selfish and self-absorbed," I said, raising an eyebrow. "And I can't blame you for believing that. It's a tough label to shake. But you know what? Embracing those traits helped me grow and see things in a different light. It's a journey you wouldn't understand."

"I completely understood why you needed to take that time away, Danni. That's why I respected your decision and didn't try to stop you, because I understood where you were coming from. All I ever want is what's best for you, and if you feel the need to distance yourself from those who care about you, then I'll respect that. But please remember, we all need each other. You can't live in isolation; it's the truth. We rely on each other. And I need you." Scott spoke earnestly, his eyes fixed on me, his actions speaking volumes as he leaned in to finally seal our unspoken desires with a long-overdue kiss.

"I need you too, Scott," I murmured between kisses, feeling the warmth of his presence and reciprocating his affectionate gestures.

In that moment of intense intimacy, I knew that he was someone I couldn't resist. His touch eased my apprehensions, his kisses chased away my doubts, and before I knew it, we were entwined in each other's company on his bed, sharing a moment that felt both inevitable and undeniably passionate.

I found myself unable to resist his allure; he was like a cool drink on a hot day, or maybe he was the one that warms my cold heart with his fire. I surrendered to him once more, granting him the power to possess me, and own me. Our dance continued into the night as we indulged in our shared existence. In that moment, I realized more deeply than ever before that he was the one who truly mattered to me.

With every touch of his hands all over me, I reflected on my identity as a strong, independent woman. A part of me acknowledged that Scott understood the value of vulnerability and knew that I was capable of showing it. It was a bittersweet realization—while I appreciated his acceptance of my vulnerable side, it was always a reminder of the inevitable outcome of our interactions. The cycle seemed set in stone: allowing myself to be vulnerable in his presence and recognizing it as a weakness. It was a frustrating truth that lingered, leaving me wondering when I would finally believe that he would be there for me and that we had reached a stage where mutual support was crucial in our lives.

Despite Scott's repeated reassurances that everything is fine, I find myself still grappling with doubts. It's not that I don't love him—I simply acted in a way that I believed was best for myself. I relied on the opinions of others, including my parents, siblings, and friends like David, to guide me, but I failed to truly understand myself.

While everyone around me emphasized the importance of having faith and trust in those who genuinely care for me, I struggled to internalize this message. Scott reiterated his love for me countless times, but my own self-centeredness prevented me from truly hearing him.