7

GROVER SNIFFED THE AIR NERVOUSLY AS THEY STOOD IN LINE,WAITING TO BOARD THE BUS. 

"What is it?" Percy asked.

"I don't know," Grover said tensely. "Maybe it's nothing."

They all took a seat in the back,this time Viviene sat beewten Percy and Annabeth while Grover was on Percy's left side.Annabeth kept tapping her cap against her thigh,a nervous expression on her face.

An old lady had just boarded the bus. She wore a crumpled velvet dress, lace gloves, and ashapeless orange-knit hat that shadowed her face, and she carried a big paisley purse. When she tilted her head up, her black eyes glittered.

"Percy." Came Viviene's voice and her hand flew to his knee,making his attention dart to the woman. His eyes widened.

"She didn't stay dead long," Percy said, trying to keep his voice from quivering. "I thought you said they could be dispelled for a lifetime."now he was talking to Annabeth.

"I said if you're lucky," Annabeth said. "You're obviously not."

"All three of them," Grover whimpered. "Di immortales!"

"It's okay,"Viviene said, obviously thinking hard. "The Furies. The three worst monsters from the Underworld. No problem. No problem. We'll just slip out the windows."

"They don't open," Grover moaned.

"A back exit?" she suggested.

There wasn't one.

"They won't attack us with witnesses around," Percy said. "Will they?"

"Mortals don't have good eyes," Annabeth reminded me. "Their brains can only process what they see through the Mist."

"They'll see three old ladies killing us, won't they?"

"Hard to say. But we can't count on mortals for help. Maybe an emergency exit in the roof ... ?" Viviene said and Percy noticed how her tongue stuck out of her mouth lightly and her brows scrunched,making it obvious she was in deep thought.

They hit the Lincoln Tunnel, and the bus went dark except for the running lights down the aisle. It was eerily quiet without the sound of the rain.Mrs. Dodds got up. In a flat voice, as if she'd rehearsed it, she announced to the whole bus: "I need to use the rest-room."

"So do I," said the second sister.

"So do I," said the third sister.

They all started coming down the aisle.

"I've got it," Viviene said. "Percy, take Annie's hat."

"What?"

"You're the one they want. Turn invisible and go up the aisle. Let them pass you. Maybe you can get to the front and get away."

"But you guys-"

"There's an outside chance they might not notice us," she said. "You're a son of one of the Big Three. Your smell might be overpowering."