13

PERCY JACKSON QUICKLY RECOVERED FROM HIS SHOCK AS SOON AS HE REMEBERED THE GIRL HE JUMPED DOWN WITH.

Percy pulled his head out of the water and found her floating on the water,eyes wide in fear.

"Hey,hey,"Percy swam to her side and grabbed her hand."You're fine,you're okay."

"I'm never trusting you again."She complained and let Percy grab her tightly. She held her breath in fear as Percy began swimming,pulling her along. She slightly relaxed when Percy squeezed her hand,but still not fully.

She relaxed when they reached the surface. But then she realized she was completly wet,whilst Percy was as dry as the desert.

A block away, every emergency vehicle in St. Louis was surrounding the Arch. Police helicopterscircled overhead. The crowd of onlookers reminded me of Times Square on New Year's Eve.

A little girl said, "Mama! That boy walked out of the river."

"That's nice, dear," her mother said, craning her neck to watch the ambulances.

"But he's dry!"

"That's nice, dear."

"Probably not a terrorist attack, we're told, but it's stillvery early in the investigation. The damage, as you can see, is very serious. We're trying to get tosome of the survivors, to question them about eyewitness reports of someone falling from the Arch."A news lady was talking for the camera.

Survivors. Viviane felt a surge of relief. Maybe the park ranger and that family made it out safely. She hoped Annabeth,Blake and Grover were okay.

They tried to push through the crowd to see what was going on inside the police line.

"... an adolescent boy and a girl," another reporter was saying. "Channel Five has learned that surveillance cameras show an adolescent boy going wild on the observation deck, somehow setting off this freak explosion. Hard to believe, John, but that's what we're hearing. Again, no confirmed fatalities ..."

Percy held his head down as they circled around the police perimter,trying to find Annabeth and Grover. Viviane felt dizzy,and not from the wound that was still bleeding,but from the fact her best friend's might be dead.

Percy's hand left Viviane's when Grover crushed him in a big hug. Viviane immidieatly stumbled back,only for Annie to catch her.

"Oh,Hades, you're bleeding!"Blake gasped as she pushed Viviane into a hug from Annabeth's arms. "We'll be in the woods I need to heal her right now."

Blake pulled Viviane out of the crowd,hurriedly walking into the woods.

She leaned Viviane against a tree and held her left hand. Viviane groaned,her head hitting the tree behind her.

She felt a familiar hand hold up her head and looked up to see a pair of familiar green eyes. He was talking to Annabeth,but his eyes were on Viviane.

Blake's other hand glew golden,floating over Viviene's bleeding neck.

The last thing Viviane saw was Percy's mouth moving,trying to tell her something.