80

"WE HAVE TO CONCENTRATE," THALIA SAID."The Mist is really strong here."

 "The magical kind or the natural kind?" Percy asked. 

 "Both."

The gray clouds swirled even thicker over the mountain, and they kept driving straight toward them. They were out of the forest now, into wide open spaces of cliffs and grass and rocks and fog.

Percy happened to glance down at the ocean as they passed a scenic curve, and he saw something that made him jump out of his seat.

"Look!" But we turned a corner and the ocean disappeared behind the hills.

 "What?" Thalia asked.

 "A big white ship," Percy said. "Docked near the beach. It looked like a cruise ship." 

 Her eyes widened. "Luke's ship?"

Viviene immidieatly paled in the frontseat.  

"Is it too late to tell you to turn around and drive me back to camp?" She whispered to Zoe.

 Zoe gave her a worried glance.

"What is it, warrior girl?" 

"Holden Castellan, Luke's twin." Thalia spoke up." He was her boyfriend. In the end, we found out he was only with her to convince her to join them becuse Luke couldn't."

Viviene's heartbeat sped up and her eyes burned.  She tried on concentration on someone else's calm heartbeat to calm herself- but now that they knew Kronos' army would join them, nobody was calm.

"This is why I swore off men." Zoe hissed in anger." He will not touch thee, Viviene. I will protect thee with my heart. Thee are my sister."

"Thank you, Zoe." Viviene gave her a thankful glance and Zoe let one hand off the wheel, squeezing her best friend's hand before putting her hand back on the wheel.

"We will have company, then," Zoe said grimly. "Kronos's army."

Viviene was about to reply but the hairs on the back of her neck stood up in a warning.

 Thalia shouted, "Stop the car. NOW!" 

Zoe must've sensed something was wrong, because she slammed on the brakes without question. The yellow VW spun twice before coming to a stop at the edge of the cliff.

"Out!"  At Thalia's command, Zoe and Viviene got out and they both rolled onto the pavement into different directions. 

 The next second: BOOOM!

Lightning flashed, and Dr. Chase's Volkswagen erupted like a canary-yellow grenade. 

Viviene heard a sound like metal ram, and when she opened her eyes, they were surrounded by wreckage. Part of the VW's fender had impaled itself in the street. The smoking hood was spinning in circles. Pieces of yellow metal were strewn across the road. 

"You saved my life." Percy said in surprise, staring intently at Thalia.

 "One shall perish by a parent's hand" she muttered. "Curse him. He would destroy me? Me?" I