11

"ARES."Daphne Smith greeted her boyfriend as she opened the door."She's getting dressed."

"What exactly happened?"Ares asked as Daphne let him into the small house.

"She killed a kindly one."Daphne told him,crossing her arms."She just pointed at him with her palms faced to him and his veins popped."

Ares was taken aback by that. He furrowed his brows.

"She has to go to camp."He said."She's too powerful-"

"I'm not sending a four year old to that stupid camp of yours."Daphne shook her head,pointing an accusing finger at him."If I had known that you were a fucking God I would have never birthed her into this mess."

"Daphne,"Ares sighed."You can't-"

"You lost the right of being a caring father when you decided to tell me you were a god after she was born."Daphne watched the man she once loved with angry eyes ,and Ares ignored how his heart shattered at those words.

"Alessandro!"Viviane ran from her room in a green dress,and for a second Ares forgot that Daphne told her a fake name instead of his real one.Viviane ran towards him and grabbed his hand."Mama said we're going to get ice cream!"

"Yes,we are."Ares 'Alessandro' nodded,squeezing her hand."We'll be back in an hour,Daphne."

Ares walked out of the house,leading the child toward's the woods instead of the center of town.

They were going to meet Hecate.

《《《《《《《《《《《《《《《《《《

They spent two days on the Amtrak train, heading west through hills, over rivers, past amber waves of grain.

They weren't attacked once, but Viviane didn't relax. She felt as if someone was watching them all the time,waiting for a weak moment to pounce on them.

Percy tried to keep a low profile because his name and picture were splattered over the front pages of several East Coast newspapers. The Trenton Register-News showed a photo taken by a tourist as Percy got off the Greyhound bus. He had a wild look in his eyes. His sword was a metallic blur in his hands. It might've been a baseball bat or a lacrosse stick.

The picture's caption read:Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson, wanted for questioning in the Long Island disappearance of his mother two weeks ago, is shown here fleeing from the bus where he accosted several elderly female passengers. The bus exploded on an east New Jersey roadside shortly after Jackson fled the scene.Based on eyewitness accounts, police believe the boy may be traveling with four teenage accomplices. His stepfather, Gabe Ugliano, has offered a cash reward for information leading to his capture.

"Don't worry," Annabeth told him. "Mortal police could never find us." But she didn't sound sosure. Viviane started avoiding Percy and his stupid comments and questions. Percy was confused as to why she was acting that way,but let it go. He had other things to worry about,like getting used to this new life.

Percy found himself being worried for Viviane a few times a day. She was off,she wasn't acting like herself. She got quieter with each day,like something was eating at her soul. He could see fear deep in her eyes,but he never dared to ask. She'd spend days walking around the train,trying to find a monster that would be a threat to them. She kept herself busy.