59

THE LEAST THE ORACLE COULD'VE DONE WAS WALK BACK TO THE ATTIC HERSELF.

Instead, Grover , Viviene and Percy  were elected to carry her. Viviene didn't figure that was because they were  the most popular.

"Watch her head!" Grover warned as they went up the stairs. But it was too late.

Bonk! Percy whacked her mummified face against the trap door frame and dust flew.

"Ah, man." Percy set her down and checked for damage. "Did I break anything?"

"I can't tell," Grover admitted.

They hauled her up and set her on her tripod stool, both of us huffing and sweating. Who
knew a mummy could weigh so much?

"How aren't you tired?" Percy huffed at Viviene who hasn't even broken put a sweat.

"Daughter of Ares, super strenght."

Vivirne assumed she wouldn't talk to them a nd she was right. She was relieved when they finally got  out of there and slammed the attic door shut.

"Well," Grover said, "that was gross."

They knew he was trying to keep things light for their sake, but the two still felt really down. The  whole camp would be mad at Percy for losing the game to the Hunters, and then there was the  new prophecy from the Oracle.

"What will Chiron do?" Percy asked .

"I wish I knew." He looked wistfully out the second-floor window at the rolling hills
covered in snow. "I want to be out there."

"Searching for Annabeth?"

He had a little trouble focusing on Viviene and Percy. Then he blushed. "Oh, right. That too. Of  course."

"Why?" Percy asked. "What were you thinking?"

He clopped his hooves uneasily. "Just something the manticore said, about the Great  Stirring. I can't help but wonder... if all those ancient powers are waking up, maybe... maybe  not all of them are evil."

"You mean Pan." Viviene replied.

She felt kind of selfish, because she'd totally forgotten about Grover's life ambition. The
nature god had gone missing two thousand years ago. He was rumored to have died, but the  satyrs didn't believe that. They were determined to find him. They'd been searching in vain for  centuries, and Grover was convinced he'd be the one to succeed.

This year, with Chiron
putting all the satyrs on emergency duty to find half-bloods, Grover hadn't been able to
continue his search. It must've been driving him nuts.

"I've let the trail go cold," he said. "I feel restless, like I'm missing something really
important. He's out there somewhere. I can just feel it."

Before they could respond, Thalia tromped up the stairs. She was officially not talking to  Percy now, but she looked at Grover and Viviene and said, "Tell Percy to get his butt downstairs."

"Why?" Percy asked.

"Did he say something?" Thalia asked Grover.