15

"IF ARES BRINGS HIS GIRLFRIEND HERE FOR A DATE," PERCY SAID,STARING UP AT THE BARBED WIRE."I'D HATE TO SEE WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE."

"Percy," Annabeth warned. "Be more respectful."

"Why? I thought you hated Ares."

"He's still a god. And his girlfriend is very temperamental."

"You don't want to insult her looks," Grover added.

"Who is she? Echidna?"Percy asked,and Viviane rolled her eyes.

"No, Aphrodite," Viviene said,glaring at Percy as if he just told her she doesn't know how to fight. "Goddess of love."

"I thought she was married to somebody," Percy said. "Hephaestus."

"What's your point?" she asked.

"Oh." He suddenly felt the need to change the subject. "So how do we get in?"

"Maia!" Grover's shoes sprouted wings.He flew over the fence, did an unintended somersault in midair, then stumbled to a landing on the opposite side. He dusted off his jeans, as if he'd planned the whole thing. "You guys coming?"

They all had to climb the old-fashioned way, holding down the barbed wire for each otheras they crawled over the top.

The shadows grew long as they walked through the park, checking out the attractions. There was Ankle Biter Island, Head Over Wedgie, and Dude, Where's My Swimsuit?

No monsters came to get them . Nothing made the slightest noise.They found a souvenir shop that had been left open. Merchandise still lined the shelves: snowglobes, pencils, postcards, and racks of-

"Clothes," Viviane said. "Fresh clothes."

"Yeah," Percy said. "But you can't just-"

"Watch me."

She snatched an entire row of stuff of the racks and disappeared into the changing room. A fewminutes later she came out in Waterland flower-print shorts, a big red Waterland T-shirt, andcommemorative Waterland surf shoes. A Waterland backpack was slung over her shoulder, obviously stuffed with more goodies.She threw Blake and Annabeth clothes before showing them to the changing room. The girls came out,all in matching outfits to Viviene's.

They continued searching for the Tunnel of Love.

"So Ares and Aphrodite," Percy said. "they have a thing going?"

"That's old gossip, Percy," Viviene told him. "Three-thousand-year-old gossip."

"What about Aphrodite's husband?"

"Well, you know," she said. "Hephaestus. The blacksmith. He was crippled when he was a baby,thrown off Mount Olympus by Zeus. So he isn't exactly handsome. Clever with his hands, and all, but Aphrodite isn't into brains and talent, you know?"

"She likes bikers."

"Whatever."

"Hephaestus knows?"

"Oh sure," Viviene said. "He caught them together once. I mean, literally caught them, in agolden net, and invited all the gods to come and laugh at them. Hephaestus is always trying toembarrass them. That's why they meet in out-of-the-way places, like ..."She stopped, looking straight ahead. "Like that."

RED ¹ / Percy Jackson !जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें