18

THE HOTEL THEY WERE STAYING IN ENDED UP BEING A PLACE WHERE YOU STAY FOREVER. The five escaped after five days,and they only had one day to complete the quest.One day until the solstice.

Viviane was quiet all the time,only now realizing what she did to those spiders in the tunnel of love. She controlled them. She felt their blood in her veins.

All those dangerous pulls in her gut were now explained. She let go off holding back because she was scared for her and Percy's lives. Her fear broke the bind Hecate put on her as a child. which meant she was a ticking time bomb now.

She didn't even know what kind of powers she had. All she knew was that she felt crazy all the time.

Which is exactly why she stopped talking to Percy,the boy who annoys her every second of every day.

"Los Angeles, please."Annabeth told the taxi driver once she barely squeezed the five of them into the taxi.

The cabbie chewed his cigar and sized them up. "That's three hundred miles. For that, you gotta pay up front."

"You accept casino debit cards?" Annabeth asked.

"Some of 'em. Same as credit cards. I gotta swipe 'em through first."He shrugged.

Annabeth handed him her green LotusCash card.

He looked at it skeptically.

"Swipe it," Annabeth invited.

He did.

His meter machine started rattling. The lights flashed. Finally an infinity symbol came up next tothe dollar sign.

"Where to in Los Angeles... uh, Your Highness?"

"The Santa Monica Pier." Annabeth sat up a little straighter.She obviously liked the"Your Highness" thing. "Get us there fast, and you can keep the change."

Maybe she shouldn't have told him that. The cab's speedometer never dipped below ninety-five the whole way through the Mojave Desert.

"How are you?"Blake asked Viviane quietly during the ride. Percy was filling the group up on his dreams,but Blake wasn't listenting to him. She was staring at Viviane who hasn't spoken to her for a whole day.

"Fine."She forced a smile. Her smile looked like a pained grimaced,but Blake nodded and decided to drop the subject.The two turned back to look at Percy as he explained his dream

"The Silent One?" Annabeth suggested. "The Rich One? Both of those are nicknames for Hades."

"Maybe ..."Percy said, though neither sounded quite right.

"That throne room sounds like Hades's," Grover said. "That's the way it's usually described."

"Something's wrong. The throne room wasn't the main part of the dream. And that voice from the pit ... I don't know. It just didn't feel like a god's voice."Percy shook his head.

Annabeth's eyes widened.

"What?"Percy asked.

"Oh ... nothing. I was just-No, it has to be Hades. Maybe he sent this thief, this invisible person,to get the master bolt, and something went wrong-"