Chapter 73 - Operation: Wrecking Ball

Notice: 

I've been away for a while since I have to manage time between this fanfic and the original web novel. I'll begin posting my original web novel works here and on several publication sites later.

My original web novel:

https://neovel.io/book/10580/EN/legend-of-the-guardian-soldier

Also, if you want to support me, you can do so through ko-fi or Paypal.

https://ko-fi.com/lourie054

https://paypal.me/A054

Patreon is currently in progress.

Community:

https://discord.gg/hf7wYCSkNz

---

Carentan Base, 1200 Hours

General Fedor is frustrated when he realizes Celestina's actual plan. He trusts Naguano's verdict once the aircraft is reported heading to the Valkyries Base. He doesn't have time to reinforce the Crown Prince with additional forces while he thinks of Naguano's perspective upon hearing the news of Gra Cabal's next destination.

Just as he's formulating a plan to make rush reinforcements to the Valkyries Base, he receives disturbing news from a radio operator.

"Sir, we've lost contact with the air patrol above the Ardennes Forest."

"Say again?"

"We've lost contact with air patrol above the North East of the Ardennes Forest."

"Sir! More reports! We've lost contact with another air patrol above the North West of the Ardennes Forest!"

Hearing the reports of losing contact with the air patrol makes Fedor realize Celestina's intention. The withdrawal was a ruse, and the military brass in the homeland fell for it.

At first, Fedor considers immediate surrender. His actions, however, contradict what he plans to do next. His impulse of action to keep fighting caused him to send out a new order.

"Get our defenses ready! Open fire to the forest!"

"Sir?"

"Tell the artillery team to open fire, NOW!"

Upon relaying the order, the Headquarters heard explosions, and the ground shook. Operators report the situation to General Fedor.

"Sir! More incoming reports! They've breached the first line of defense! We've lost contact with the north and east perimeter artillery team!"

"What the fuck!? How did they travel so fast?"

Little did he realize Celestina had already launched the attack far before he gave the order.

Ten Minutes after the Crown Prince leaves the Carentan Base, 1110 Hours

"Let's go! Let's go!"

Celestina deploys Mirage Tanks to conceal themselves from the Gra Valkas Empire's artillery fire. The Kodiak Artilleries were positioned in front of the forest, deployed and ready to open fire when the attack commenced.

"Stay in formation and inside the Mirage Tank's concealment radius."

The Main Council has made a special request for the Mirage Tank for this operation. Armed with a single Spectrum Cannon, the Mirage Tank boasts three specialties. First is Assault mode, in which the crew utilizes the cannon to melt any resistances that get in their way. The second is Ambush Strike mode, where the Mirage Tank is forced to remain at a standstill, camouflaging as trees or bushes, and will only fire when the enemy enters its range. Third is Mirage mode, allowing Mirage Tank to emit a fifteen-meter camouflage range to conceal any infantry and armored units inside the radius. During Mirage mode, the tank switches Spectrum Cannon to wide-range concealment.