Chapter 27- Here We Go Again

Marci

I sighed softly as I rolled onto my side in bed, cuddling my stuffed giraffe closer to my chest (his name is giraffie of course).

It took a moment for me to process the lack of pain in my back, but once I did, I internally thanked Joey, who must have given me paracetamol at some point last night.

The previous night was a blurry memory for me, one I didn't remember well except for the vague recollection of a coloring sheet that I really wish I had grabbed.

It was so pretty damn it

I snapped from my memory and practically leaped out of bed when I remembered something far more important.

Shannon's 16th!

I scrambled out of my sheets, or at least tried to.

The strawberry printed fabric twisted around my feet and I fell face first into my night table with a clunk.

I groaned in pain as the familiar coppery taste of blood filled my senses.

Instead of getting up immediately, I chose to lay on the ground and feel sorry for myself for a while before I attempted to move.

I reached down and pulled the sheets from my feet, groaning in pain as I crawled on my knees towards the door, which slammed open before I could even reach it.

Joey stood at the door, concern etched on his face, but it quickly faded once he saw me.

"Marci dear God, how many times is this going to happen?" he sighed as he approached me. I shifted my weight from my hands to my butt and moved to a criss cross apple sauce position.

"C'mere, let me get a look at you" he coerced as he kneeled down and looked at my bloodied mouth. "It looks like you probably just bit your tongue this time, and I swear to shit if you concussed yourself agai-"

Shannon stormed into the room, cutting Joey off.

"Marci! Oh my God, was it the night table again!" she gasped, rushing towards me and Joey.

"Nope, twisted sheets again." Joey explained, rising from his position on the floor.

"Marci! Thats twice!" Shannon scolded.

"This week." I muttered, climbing onto my feet and wiping the blood that was dripping down my chin.

I hobbled back over to my night table and slid the top drawer open, rummaging through my abnormally large collection of gel pens and discarded candy wrappers until I found what I was looking for.

I pulled the small purple jewelry box from the bottom of the drawer then slid it shut, ignoring the clattering noises as the junk inside of it scattered.

"Here Shan" I offered, handing her the small box and patting a spot on my bed, silently telling her to sit.

"You didn't have to Marci- seriously"

"Oh hush, you know I had to!" I assured her, nudging her in the side gently to tease her.

She untied the pink silk striped bow on top and popped open the box, grinning wide when she saw what was inside.

"Thank you Marci!" she squealed as she flung herself to me and wrapped her arms around my waist. "It's gorgeous!"

"You're welcome Shan" I laughed softly as I hugged her back. "Come on, let's put it on".

She detached from me and dropped the small silver locket in the palm of my hand. It perfectly matched the gold one on my neck that she had given me when we were young. I still hadn't taken it off, and never dared to even plan to.