Chapter 36- Long Time No See

Ethan

Marci took a deep and shaky breath in, her eyes locked on the chipped door of the crappy ass house we were currently in front of.

It was early in the winter, and the sun had already set, meaning it was dark outside, which made the house even fucking creepier than in daylight.

Despite being born and raised on a nicer side of town, I was fully aware of who the home belonged to.

Shane Holland.

I didn't live under a fucking rock. I knew who he was.

Shane was the shittiest drug dealer in Cork.

Seriously. You didn't fuck with Shane, and I was seriously concerned, considering that seemed to be exactly what Joey Lynch had done.

Somehow, for reasons I hadn't had the balls to ask about, after over an hour of searching, both Marci and Aoife had concluded that Joey would be here, and for more reasons I didn't understand, Marci had drawn the short straw, and had been chosen go retrieve him.

So while Aoife Molloy was working her hours at the pub, I was watching my best friend hold back tears as she spaced out of her mind and tried to pretend that none of this was happening.

But it was.

"Marc- I got it, I can get him" I sighed, stepping forward toward the shit sack of a house, fully prepared to do whatever it took to drag her brother out of the front door if it kept her from crying.

"No- no you don't want to, I'm sure. Just give me a sec." she assured, her feet still glued to the sidewalk
as she stiffened her posture and stood taller.

"Marci-"

"Just give me a sec!" She repeated, her voice cracking at the words as her posture wilted once again. She bowed her head and tucked into my side in defeat, softening her tone as she spoke again. "J-just one second."

"Do you want me to go with you?" I asked her, stroking her hair gently to calm her anxiety.

"I don't know what I want" she pleaded, holding her rare tears back.

"Marci." I coaxed gently, but she didn't move.

"Marci" I repeated.

She still didn't move a muscle.

I lifted her chin, forcing her to look up at me, and her eyes met mine.

"I've got this Grumps." I promised, rubbing her shoulder soothingly as I stepped forward and took her with me, knowing she would rather go than be left behind.

She detached from my side and scrambled to the front door, visibly trying to force her posture to stand straighter.

The closer we got to the home, the louder the voices booming from inside of it became. There was laughter seeping from the cracks in the door, along with the smell of booze as we got closer.

Marci knocked gently on the front door, and I knocked louder right after her, so that it could be heard.

The door didn't open.

The noise in the living room quieted, but nobody moved.

I was about to knock again when the sound of locks clicking echoed from inside of the home, and the door flew open.

Shane stood in the doorway, a horrific smell wafting from his tall figure.

"Well if it isn't little Lynchy" he patronized. "Long time no see".

"Hey Shane. Uh- Where's Joe." she stuttered, trying to peek over Shane's shoulder to get a look inside the house.

"What's the magic word." he spat, rubbing in the bitterness Marci had to be feeling being here even further.

"Please just let me in Shane" she pleaded, apparently using the magic word, because Shane stepped aside and she walked under his arm that was pressed against the doorframe, and into the house. I stepped to follow after her, but Shane moved back in the doorway, blocking my path.

"Not you posh boy, get out of here." he told me.

"Let him in Shane", Marci groaned from behind him, clearly creeped out as much as me.

"No can do Lynchy, your boy toy will have to wait out here"

"You know I can't get him out of her alone" she sighed nervously, pleading with the fucking creep who had turned to face her.

"You'll have to." he stated, before he slammed the door in my face.

★・・・・・・★

Authors Note

long time no see. uhhh. let's give a rundown.

got really depressed, then got better, then got new friends. odd ordering i know. but i'm lowk thriving so more updates?

I hate how i made this storyline go, so i'm losing motivation, but i just gotta get through this scene.

Lots of love! (because you are loved!)

- Kat 💗