Chapter 33- Obvious

Marci

I swallowed a sob as I stepped off of the bus and began walking towards Tommen beside Shannon.

I'd spent a week at home to take care of Mam, who had already returned to work since her miscarriage.

While the loss of my baby brother rested in the pit of my stomach, the dilemma of what I was going to say to Ethan today weighed down on my chest unbearably. The anxiety was so formidable that it was crippling me.

For the first time in a very long time, I was dreading school, but as per usual, I was trying to look at the bright side of things. The positive in this particular situation, was that I wasn't at home, and I was eternally grateful for that.

Despite my father's leave of absence after his argument with my mother, he had weaseled his way back into our life, using the miscarriage as his excuse.

He had returned the day she got home from the hospital, full of promises for sobriety, which were quickly broken, but who was even surprised.

It had taken him all of three days to get back into my mother's likings, and four days to throw his first punch.

Joey was the unfortunate victim of my father's fist on Wednesday, and he was now sporting a dark shiner for his troubles.

Mam had been distant since the loss of the baby, meaning I was taking full care of Sean while Joey worked extra hours to make up for the loss of Mam's.

I wasn't at all opposed to taking care of Sean, especially considering I had done it for such a long time when he was just a baby. Mam had a horrific case of postnatal depression with Sean, so much so, that she refused to even touch him, nevertheless nurse him. I spent almost the entire first year of Sean's life taking care of Sean solely.

He had called me mama when he was only eleven months, and I had nearly cried. Sean was the sweetest thing, and I wouldn't ever let my anger towards my mam taint my relationship with him.

However, when Sean had turned a year, my mam took a sudden interest in him, and had grown horribly jealous at his fondness towards me, so much so, that I didn't seen nearly as much of Sean for the following year.

Lately, my mam had slowly been laying more of Sean's care taking on my shoulders, a process that was sped up rapidly by her miscarriage.

Sean had thrown a hell of a fit when I lad to leave for school this morning and I felt immensely guilty for leaving the sobbing toddler on the doorstep of my house.

I became even more regretful about the decision as I stepped into the front doors of Tommen and was immediately met with Ronan McGarry, the asshole who had been staring me down- or should I say staring down my shirt- for the last month. I still sat across from him in math, and I'd heard rumors from Ethan about him pestering Shannon, which had diminished my patience towards him completely.

Ronan was standing to the left of the school entrance, clearly waiting for my arrival, as he quickly fell into a walk beside me.

"Hey Marcella" he greeted, tossing his arm around my shoulders which earned a flinch of pain and a soft greeting from me.

"Been waiting for you to come back" he stated, clearly having noticed my absence. "Missed seeing a pretty face in the halls"

Okay Mr super senior. I thought as I internally rolled my eyes when he dropped his hand down to my waist and slowly began to sink it closer and closer to my butt.

"Yeah, had to stay home for a little while" I mumbled some lame excuse while I desperately searched the hallway for someone I knew before he managed to sink his hand down to my behind. I decided to turn into the commons, in the hopes to increase my odds of seeing a friend- heck- literaly anyone but Ronan.