Chapter 34- Burn it down

Ethan

The internal relief I felt when I saw Marci giggling with Lizzie was so immense I nearly collapsed onto the grounds of Tommen college.

She had her hair pulled back into a ponytail with a pink bow tied into it, and she was wearing socks with purple puppies underneath her usual mismatched converse.

She had on her usual Tommen skirt, which brushed over her mid thigh as she walked excitedly beside Lizzie, and she had on a white button down shirt. Her blazer and tie were missing, which was odd, considering she had taken the time to get her hair ready that morning.

I dragged my eyes over where her marks had been.

She clearly knew she couldn't lie to me, because her bruises were not only uncovered, but darker than last week.

Fuck.

I felt my mind fog as pure fury enveloped me.

The thought of someone putting their hands on Marci- hurting her- disgusted me so much that I physically couldn't take it.

She looked so gorgeous, so happy, and her walls were so meticulously built that sometimes I wondered if it was all in my head. She practically beamed all day, a constant ray of light to anyone and everyone.

I was sure that I looked like shit, I hadn't slept properly in days and my hair was sure to look like shit as well, because I'd been to exhausted to even think this morning before I left the house.

I'd nearly crashed my car driving here, since Gibsie was "Running late" as per usual, which really meant that Claire was in his room when he woke up, so he took twice as long to get out of bed.

Marci looked at me then, and it felt like time froze as her gaze locked with mine.

Pure terror filled her face as she saw me, and Lizzie detached from her side to head into her first class.

She tried to turn and walk away, pretending not to notice me.

No way.

"Hey Marci!" I called across the hallway, ignoring the curious gazes that flicked towards me as I jogged towards her.

"Uh hey" she said, anxiously fiddling with the locket around her neck as she stared at the ground.

I grabbed onto her waist and pulled her closer into my side to keep her from running directly into a random sixth year who was twice her size.

She flinched, but didn't pull away from me as she reached her arm behind her and pulled something from the side pocket of her pink backpack.

She pulled out a chocolate chip cookie and held it up to me as we stopped in front of the room of her first hour class.

Huh, guess she keeps her promises.

"What about the other part?" I pressed as I opened the cookie, needing an explanation before I burned down all of Cork.

She didn't respond, and just shifted uncomfortably as the second bell went off, signaling that class was about to begin.

ah shit

I got ready to leave, turning away and tossing my backpack over my shoulder, when Marci spoke up.

"Wait- um" she hesitated as I turned back around to face her.

"Wanna skip?"

★・・・・・・★

Authors Note

Hey this is so so short so I'm sorry, I usually try to make my chapters 1k words or more, but I really wanna write the next chapter from Marci's perspective ykyk so I can do like a mirror moment.

anyhow ily all (so loved!) 🥰

- Kat

WC- 584